De Broglie Waves: Momentum, Wavelength & Light Speed

In summary: So if v is that of light, then p and lambda will increase, but if v is that of an electron, then p and lambda will decrease?In summary, according to Broigle, if λ increases, then p will increase. However, this is not a cause and effect thing.
AakashPandita
According to Broigle,

λ=h/p
where
p=momentum,
h=planck constant, and
λ=wavelength

But that means,
if λ increases, then p will increase
p=mv
and so v will increase along with the wavelength

But what if the v is that of light,i.e, c?

Physics news on Phys.org
AakashPandita said:
According to Broigle,

λ=h/p
where
p=momentum,
h=planck constant, and
λ=wavelength

But that means,
p=mv

For starters, why increase? λ and p are inversely proportional. Or it's New Year's morning and I'm not thinking straight.

danR is correct. If [tex]\lambda [/tex] decreases, then [tex]p[/tex] increases. But, this is not a cause and effect thing.

That aside, if [tex]v = c[/tex], then [tex]p \ne mv[/tex].

Best wishes

when p increases ,i.e, mv (that of light)
then either m or v (of light) should increase...
then what will be that would increase?

AakashPandita said:
According to Broigle,

λ=h/p
where
p=momentum,
h=planck constant, and
λ=wavelength

But that means,
p=mv

There clearly is an inverse relationship between the two parameters of your interest. Also Lambda can't increase as your post suggests , in Q.M as you may know light comes in packets ' photons' which have specific energy levels.

For a given wave , it's wavelength and speed can be related by : c = fλ

AakashPandita said:
when p increases ,i.e, mv (that of light)
then either m or v (of light) should increase...
then what will be that would increase?

This is true only for non-relativistic particles! You want [tex]v=c[/tex], which is relativistic. Most likely you are talking about light (electromagnetic radiation). In the relativistic case [tex]p=E/c[/tex], where [tex]c[/tex] is the constant speed of light. For light the photons have zero mass and when you increase [tex]E[/tex] the momentum [tex]p[/tex] increases but the speed of light [tex]c[/tex] remains constant.

The point is that [tex]p=mv[/tex] does not apply when [tex]v=c[/tex].

Best wishes

Oh i see. thanks.

1. What are De Broglie waves?

De Broglie waves, also known as matter waves, are a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons and protons. They were first proposed by Louis de Broglie in the 1920s.

2. How are momentum and wavelength related in De Broglie waves?

De Broglie's equation states that the wavelength (λ) of a particle is inversely proportional to its momentum (p): λ = h/p, where h is Planck's constant. This means that particles with higher momentum have shorter wavelengths, and vice versa.

3. Can De Broglie waves be observed?

De Broglie waves cannot be directly observed, but their effects can be seen in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. This is because the wavelength of particles, such as electrons, is incredibly small, making it difficult to measure directly.

4. How do De Broglie waves relate to the speed of light?

De Broglie waves are directly related to the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, all particles with mass must travel at speeds less than the speed of light. This means that the wavelength of a particle cannot be shorter than the wavelength of light, and therefore, the speed of light sets a limit on the momentum and wavelength of a particle.

5. What is the significance of De Broglie waves in quantum mechanics?

De Broglie waves played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, as they helped explain the wave-particle duality of matter. They also provide a way to calculate the wavelength and momentum of particles, which is essential in understanding their behavior in the microscopic world.