1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie Waves

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    Inquiry:
    When introducing de Broglie waves, the author of my modern physics book first makes the analogy of a wave propagating on a string. Naturally the displacement at any time is given by y=Acos2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft, where A is amplitude of the vibrations and f is the frequency. Then he argues that a more complete description should tell us what y is at any point on the string at any time, inferring that what is needed is a function in both x and t. He uses the example of shaking the string at x=0 when t=0, so the wave is propagating in the +x direction. The distance traveled in a time t is x=wt, where w is the speed of the wave; making the time interval between the formation of the wave at x=0 and its arrival at the point x to be x/w.

The next part I found confusing. He says "Accordingly the displacement y of the string at x at any time t is exactly the same as the value of y at x=0 at the earlier time t-x/w. By simply replacing t in the equation y=Acos2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft with t-x/w, then, we have the desired formula [ie. y=Acos2[itex]\pi[/itex]f(t-[itex]\frac{x}{w})[/itex]=Acos2[itex]\pi[/itex](ft-[itex]\frac{fx}{w}[/itex])] giving y in terms of both x and t." I understand the relevance of getting the equation into the desirable form of containing both x and t, but I don't understand its equivalency; other than y reducing to the original form y=Acos2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft when x=0.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wave is propagating in the +x direction with speed w, so if you know y0(t) at x = 0, then you can calculate y(x,t) as y0(t - x/w), since the part of the wave which is at x at time t would have been at x = 0 at time t - x/w.

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3
    Oh, this makes perfect sense. At first it sounded like something was being obtained from nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook