1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE for motion of a particle

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m is confined to a horizontal plane. It is elastically bound to its equilibrium position by an isotropic elastic force,

F=mω^2r
    Where r is the displacement of the particle from equilibrium and ω is a real constant parameter.

From Newton's law, we obtain the equation of motion:

r'' + ω^2r = 0.

In rect. coordinates r(t) = ix(t) + jy(t).

Obtain expressions for x(t) and y(t).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The x-component of force :

Fx = -x(t)mω^2 = mx''(t)
    x''(t) + x(t)ω^2 = 0
    The solution to this DE is x(t) = c1cos(ωt) + c2sin(ωt)
    Then I'll apply the initial conditions given in the problem to obtain the constants.

Here's the part I'm unsure about
    When I solve the differential equation for the y component I get
    y(t) = a1cos(ωt) + a2sin(ωt). I'm thinking I have to multiply this by t so that the solutions are linearly independent:

y(t) = a1*tcos(ωt) + a2*tsin(ωt). Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Don't multiply by t.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    I don't understand why. Could you please explain?

Thanks.

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't understand why? What makes you think you should? It certainly can't be because x depends on those functions- the y-coordinate has nothing to do with the x-coordinate. They are completely indepedent.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5
    There's no need to multiply by [tex] t [/tex]. Yes, [tex] x(t) [/tex] and [tex] y(t) [/tex] are solutions to the same ODE, but there's no reason for them to be linearly independent; you're not going to use them as a basis in which to express other solutions of the ODE. In fact, you already used such a basis to get [tex] x [/tex] and [tex] y [/tex], i.e., [tex] \cos(\omega t) [/tex] and [tex] \sin(\omega t) [/tex].

You're probably confusing this with a similar-looking situation encountered with some second-order linear ODEs, which can be converted to a system of coupled linear first-order equations; if the associated matrix of this system is degenerate (that is, has repeated eigenvalues), then a basis for the solution space may include such elements as [tex] t \sin(\omega t) [/tex]. (The reason for this is best understood as a consequence of the fact that the "degenerate" real canonical form of a matrix is the sum of the identity and a nilpotent matrix. Thus, when exponentiated, such a matrix yields a prefactor of [tex] e^t [/tex] times the identity and a sum of higher-order terms in [tex] t [/tex] that eventually terminates.)

As a final note, it's usually preferable to express solutions like [tex] c_1 \cos(\omega t) + c_2 \sin(\omega t) [/tex] in the form [tex] A \cos(\omega t + \phi) [/tex] for some phase [tex] \phi [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook