Solve DE: dy/dt = 2*(abs(sqrt(y)))

In summary, we have a differential equation dy/dt = 2*(abs(sqrt(y))), and we need to find its solutions and determine why this does not contradict the uniqueness theorem. The solution y(t)=0 is valid for all t. When finding all solutions, we need to consider the hint given in class that t=0 is not the point of concern. The solutions for t>=0 are y(t) = (t-C)^2, and for t<0 are y(t) = (C-t)^2, using separation of variables and the definition of absolute value. This does not contradict the uniqueness theorem because the differential equation is not differentiable at y=0.
SomeRandomGuy
Consider dy/dt = 2*(abs(sqrt(y)))

1.Show that y(t)=0 is a solution for all t.
I did this part

2.Find all solutions (hint, give solution like y(t)=... for t>=0, y(t)=... t<0).
He told us in class that t=0 isn't necessarily the point we should be concerned with

3.Why doesn't this contradict the uniqueness theorem?
I have a feeling it's because our DE isn't differentiable at y=0, but my main problem is number 2.

I graphed this DE on the computer, so assuming I typed it in right I know what it looks like. I also tried splitting the DE up into cases for part 2, but it seems that I would have to perform the same integral twice which doesn't really make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
SomeRandomGuy said:
I also tried splitting the DE up into cases for part 2, but it seems that I would have to perform the same integral twice which doesn't really make sense.
Could you show your work then? There should be a small difference...
Remember the definition of the absolute value.

TD said:
Could you show your work then? There should be a small difference...
Remember the definition of the absolute value.

dy/dt = 2*sqrt(abs(y)) = 2*sqrt(y) y>=0, 2*sqrt(-y) y<0

isn't 2*sqrt(-y) when y<0 = 2*sqrt(y)

I have y(t) = (t-C)^2 when y>=0. I get the same thing when y<0 as well, by separation of variables. I use t-C rather than t+C thanks to a hint from my professor from yesterday's lecture. So, is this the solution I am looking for?

SomeRandomGuy said:
dy/dt = 2*sqrt(abs(y)) = 2*sqrt(y) y>=0, 2*sqrt(-y) y<0
The initial problem was "abs(sqrt(y))" and now you write "sqrt(abs(y))", which one is it?

"isn't 2*sqrt(-y) when y<0 = 2*sqrt(y)"

No, it's not. For example if y= -4, 2*sqrt(-y)= 2*sqrt(4)= 4 but
2*sqrt(y)= 2*sqrt(-4)= 4i.

1. What is the meaning of "DE" in the equation?

DE stands for "differential equation" which is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives.

2. What does "dy/dt" represent in this equation?

"dy/dt" is known as the derivative of y with respect to t, which represents the rate of change of y over time. In this equation, it is equal to 2 multiplied by the absolute value of the square root of y.

3. What is the significance of the absolute value in this equation?

The absolute value ensures that the result of the square root operation is always positive. This is important because the derivative cannot be negative, so the absolute value ensures that the equation is valid for all values of y.

4. How do you solve this differential equation?

This is a separable differential equation, so it can be solved by separating the variables and integrating both sides. The final solution will involve a constant of integration, which can be determined by using an initial condition.

5. What is the physical application of this equation?

This equation can be used to model many physical phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. It describes the rate at which a quantity changes over time, which is a fundamental concept in many scientific fields.