Calculating Altitude and Time of a Fired Rocket

In summary, the rocket is fired with a constant acceleration of 100m/s^2 for 1 minute before the motor shuts off and it continues to ascend under the influence of gravity. To find the maximum altitude, the velocity is set to zero and the integral of acceleration is taken from 0 to T. This gives a time of 672.244898 seconds. To find the position function, the acceleration is integrated from 0 to t for both cases where t is less than or greater than 60 minutes. Finally, the position function is plugged into the equation to find the maximum height.
rocomath
A rocket is fired vertically and ascends with constant acceleration a=100m/s^2 for 1min. At that point, the rocket motor shuts off and the rocket continues upward under the influence of gravity.

a) Find the maximum altitude acquired by the rocket

b) The total time elapsed from the take-off until the rocket returns to the earth

Ignore air resistance.

a) The maximum height can be found through setting velocity equal to zero, and the integral of acceleration is velocity.

[tex]\int_0^Ta(t)dt=\int_0^{60}a(t)dt+\int_{60}^Ta(t)dt=0[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^Ta(t)dt=\int_0^{60}100dt-\int_{60}^T9.8dt=0[/tex]

T=672.244898s

Is (a) good so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) looks good so far.:smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
(a) looks good so far.:smile:
yay! Thanks for the confirmation.

Ok, so I have the time when my rocket is at it's highest. I know the position function equation, but I can't use it since my acceleration isn't constant.

Can I modify it such that [tex]x_1(t)[/tex] has g=100, and [tex]x_2(t)[/tex] has g=9.8, and the maximum height is just [tex]x_1+x_2[/tex]?

Well [itex]a(t)=\dot{v}(t)[/itex] so why not integrate a(t') from t'=0 to t'=t to find the speed of the particle at a time t the same way you did to find v(T). Treat two cases, t<60min and t>60. this should give you the piecewise function for v(t). Then, repeat the process to find x(t) and finally plug into the equation to find x(T).

Last edited:
Oh ok, so just keep on integrating! Let me try it.

1. What is "DE: Models of Motion"?

DE: Models of Motion stands for Differential Equations: Models of Motion. It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of motion and change using differential equations.

2. What is the purpose of DE: Models of Motion?

The purpose of DE: Models of Motion is to provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems that involve motion and change.

3. What are some real-world applications of DE: Models of Motion?

DE: Models of Motion has a wide range of applications, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and more. Some examples include predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the spread of disease in a population, and understanding the dynamics of chemical reactions.

4. What are the key concepts in DE: Models of Motion?

Some key concepts in DE: Models of Motion include differential equations, initial and boundary conditions, solutions, and phase space. It also involves the use of mathematical tools such as calculus, linear algebra, and numerical methods.

5. What are some challenges in studying DE: Models of Motion?

One of the main challenges in studying DE: Models of Motion is solving complex differential equations, which often require advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations. Another challenge is accurately representing real-world systems with mathematical models that can capture all the relevant factors.