Using De Moivre Formula to Prove z^n = 1 is a Root of Unity

• Thread starter Bob19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, Bob has a question about DeMoivre's formula and wants to prove that z^n = 1 is a root of unity. The procedure involves using DeMoivre's formula and showing that (cos v + i sin(v))^n = 1. Bob has already attempted to solve the problem and is on the right track.
Bob19
Hi
I have a question regarding the use of de moivre formula:
I'm presented with a complex number [tex] z = (cos(v) + i sin(v))^n = 1[/tex]
I'm suppose to show that [tex]z^n = 1[/tex] is a root of unity. Is there a procedure on how to show this? If n = 6 and [tex]v = \frac{4 \pi}{6}[/tex]

Sincerely and Best Regards

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you've copied this correctly? You are saying that you are told that z= 1 ?? And you want to prove that 1 is a "root of unity"??

I very much doubt that! Please copy the problem carefully.

Perhaps you are given that z= cos v+ i sin(v) and want to show that (cos v+ i sin(v))n= zn= 1, thus showing that z is a "root of unity".

Furthermore, you then say "if n= 6 and [itex]v= \frac{4\pi}{6}[/itex]". Is that a separate problem or is the original problem to show that
[tex]\left(cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{6})+ i sin(\frac{4\pi}{6}\right)\right)^6= 1[/tex]?

If it is the latter, since YOU titled this "DeMoivre's Formula Question", what does DeMoivre's formula tell you [itex]\left(\(cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{6})+ i sin(\frac{4\pi}{6}\right)\right)^6[/itex] is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I have been looking through my textbook which gives the following procedure on how to show if [tex](cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}))[/tex]

Is the six root of unity for [tex]z^{6} = 1[/tex]

Its know that [tex]1 = cos(2 k \pi) + i sin(2 k \pi)[/tex] where k = 1,2,3,...m

According to De Moivre's formula the n'th root unity can be expressed as

[tex] (cos(\frac{2 k \pi}{n}) + i sin(\frac{2 k \pi}{n})) [/tex]

My case

k = 2 and n = 6

If I insert these into De Moivre's formula I get [tex]z = (cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}))[/tex]

I insert z into the initial equation and get

[tex](cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}))^6 = (cos(\frac{24 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{24 \pi}{6})) = 1[/tex]

Therefore [tex](cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}))[/tex] is the 6'th root of unity for

[tex]z^6 = 1[/tex]

I have hand it in tomorrow so therefore am I on the right track?

Sincerely and Best Regards,

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, you can do that but it would be easier, since you are already given [tex]z = (cos(\frac{4 \pi}{6}) + i sin(\frac{4 \pi}{6}))[/tex],
to just take the 6 th power of that and show that it is 1.

1. What is the De Moivre's formula?

The De Moivre's formula is a mathematical formula that is used to calculate the power of a complex number. It is written as (cosθ + isinθ)^n, where θ is the argument and n is the power.

2. How is De Moivre's formula derived?

De Moivre's formula is derived using Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos x + i sin x. By substituting x = θ/n into Euler's formula and expanding it using the binomial theorem, we can arrive at De Moivre's formula.

3. What is the significance of De Moivre's formula?

De Moivre's formula is significant because it allows us to easily calculate powers of complex numbers. This is particularly useful in applications such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing.

4. Can De Moivre's formula be applied to other types of numbers?

Yes, De Moivre's formula can be applied to any type of number, including real numbers and imaginary numbers. However, it is most commonly used for complex numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to De Moivre's formula?

One limitation of De Moivre's formula is that it only works for integer powers. It also does not apply to numbers with a negative power. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for calculating powers of complex numbers in certain situations.