1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Moivre identity problem

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    Use de Moivre's identity to find real values of a and b in the equation below such that the equation is valid.

[itex]cos^6(x)+sin^6(x)+a(cos^4(x)+sin^4(x))+b=0[/itex]

Hint: Write [itex]cos(x)[/itex] & [itex]sin(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] & [itex]e^{-ix}[/itex].

Check your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are valid by substituting in a value of [itex]x[/itex]. State, with explanation, two values of [itex]x[/itex]which would not have been sufficient checks on your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

I've managed to obtain the following expression:

[itex]\frac{3}{8}cos(4x)+\frac{a}{4}cos(4x)+\frac{3a}{4}+\frac{5}{8}+b=0[/itex], and I checked the model solution, and this is the expression they've got too. But then they simply state [itex]a=\frac{-3}{2}[/itex], and work out [itex]b[/itex] from there. But I don't understand how they got that value for [itex]a[/itex]. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation [itex]\frac{3}{8}cos(4x)+\frac{a}{4}cos(4x)+\frac{3a}{4}+\frac{5}{8}+b=0[/itex] has to be true for all values of ##x##.

So you can get two equations from it, similar to "equating coefficients" of polynomials, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equating_coefficients

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have
    [tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) + \frac{5}{8} + b \equiv 0[/tex]
    where ##\equiv## means that it is an identity that holds for all ##x## (much more than just an equation!). So, the coefficient of ##\cos(4x)## must vanish.

5. Jan 17, 2014 #4
    Okay, so I understand what AlephZero said. I picked 2 random values of x, obtained simultaneousness equations and solved them for a and b. I got a=-3/2 and b=1/2. But I don't understand the emboldened part. Why must the coefficient of ##cos(4x)## vanish?

Also, for the last part of the question where it asks for 2 values of x which would not have been sufficient checks, do I just write down the 2 random values I used before to get my simultaneous equations?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. Jan 17, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The coefficient of cos(4x) must vanish because the equation must hold for ALL values of x; If the coefficient of cos(4x) did not vanish you could find infinitely many different values for x that would make the equation false.

Look at it this way: you could re-write the equation as
    [tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) = - \frac{5}{8} - b [/tex]
    The right-hand-side is a constant (not dependent on x), so the left-hand-side must also not depend on x. The only way you can make that happen is to set the coefficient of cos(4x) to zero.

7. Jan 17, 2014 #6
    Got it. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted