De Moivre's Theorem: Explaining Integrals of sin^mxcos^nx

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: And, understanding this makes finding the nth roots of a number in the complex plane pretty simple. (DeMoivre's theorem backwards, I don't know that it has a name attributed to it other than 'finding the roots')You can use De Moivre's theorem to work out expressions for cos^n x and sin^n x into lower degrees, and work them easily from there.
chaoseverlasting
Can someone explain the De Moivre's Theorem and how its used to evaluate integrals of the type [tex]\int sin^mxcos^nxdx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
De Moivre's Theorem:

[tex](\cos x + i \sin x)^n = \cos nx + i \sin nx[/tex]

Proof by induction or Euler's Formula.

Explain it? There it is, no intuitive feel or understanding about it, not unless you're Gauss.

How its used to evaluate integrals like that? I don't think it is..

If m is odd, let w = cos x. If n is odd, let w = sin x. If both m and n are even and non-negative, convert all to sin x or all to cos x using Pythagorean Identities and then use the 1st or 2nd integrals I list below. If m and n are even and one of them is negative, convert to which function is in the denominator and use 3 and 4 i list below. The case in which both m and n are negative and even is too hard for my brain.

1. [tex]\int \sin^n x dx = -\frac{1}{n} \sin^{n-1} x \cos x + \frac{n-1}{n}\int \sin^{n-2} x dx[/tex], n positive.

2. [tex]\int \cos^n x dx = \frac{1}{n} \sin^{n-1} x \sin x + \frac{n-1}{n}\int \cos^{n-2} x dx[/tex], n positive.

3. [tex]\int \frac{1}{\sin^m x} dx = \frac{-1}{m-1} \frac{\cos x}{\sin^{m-1} x} + \frac{m-2}{m-1}\int \frac{1}{\sin^{m-2} x} dx[/tex], m can not equal 1, positive.

4. [tex]\int \frac{1}{\cos^m x} dx = \frac{1}{m-1} \frac{\sin x}{\cos^{m-1} x} + \frac{m-2}{m-1}\int \frac{1}{\cos^{m-2} x} dx[/tex], m can not equal 1, positive.Note you may need to use those listed integrals several times for some applications. These are very long and arduous formulas to memorize or to even use. Better to get good at integration.

NO! FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID IN THE LAST POST!

You can use De Moivre's theorem to work out expressions for cos^n x and sin^n x into lower degrees, and work them easily from there.

I don't really know how De Moivre's Theorem would help... but my guess is, you use:
[tex]\sin^n(x)=\left (\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2i}\right ) ^{n}[/tex]

then use binomial theorem to expand and integrate term by term. similarly for cos(x)

other than that, I can't think of any way that De Moivre's Theorem might help... it might if you got bounds on the integral.

You can use Identites such as [tex]\cos^4 x = \frac{\cos 4x + 4\cos 2x +3}{8}[/tex] which can be derived from expanding the LHS of the theorem, to make the integrals easy.

Gib Z said:
You can use Identites such as [tex]\cos^4 x = \frac{\cos 4x + 4\cos 2x +3}{8}[/tex] which can be derived from expanding the LHS of the theorem, to make the integrals easy.

Oh. Yeah. Thanks. And I think it represents a unit circle in the argand plane. Or more correctly, an n sided polygon which becomes a circle as n tends to infinity. You can find the nth roots of unity which would be the angle made by the adjacent vertices on the center of the polygon.

Gib Z said:
De Moivre's Theorem:

[tex](\cos x + i \sin x)^n = \cos nx + i \sin nx[/tex]

Proof by induction or Euler's Formula.

Explain it? There it is, no intuitive feel or understanding about it, not unless you're Gauss.

Really? I beg to differ.

Raising a complex number of modulus 1 to the n'th power multiplies the argument by n. It is saying that multiplication of (unit) complex numbers gives rotations of the complex plane.

matt grime said:
Really? I beg to differ.

Raising a complex number of modulus 1 to the n'th power multiplies the argument by n. It is saying that multiplication of (unit) complex numbers gives rotations of the complex plane.

And, understanding this makes finding the nth roots of a number in the complex plane pretty simple. (DeMoivre's theorem backwards, I don't know that it has a name attributed to it other than 'finding the roots')

I'm also interested in how DeMoivre's theorem can be applied to simplify finding the integrals of the type that chaoseverlasting listed in the original post. I teach DeMoivre's theorem in pre-calculus because of the beautiful simplicity of it (and the symmetry of roots of complex numbers). It'd be nice to show students that it can also be applied in calculus to trig integrals.

matt grime said:
Really? I beg to differ.

Now that you state it, it seems obvious >.< I really need to take more time to read things..we'll yea, the bit where I used Gauss, I meant the related Formula, [tex]e^{ix}=\cos x + i \sin x[/tex], he said if that wasn't immediately obviously to someone they would never be a first class mathematician.

1. What is De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that for any complex number z = r(cos θ + isin θ), where r is the modulus (or absolute value) and θ is the argument (or angle), the nth power of z can be expressed as z^n = r^n(cos nθ + isin nθ).

2. How is De Moivre's Theorem used to explain integrals of sin^mxcos^nx?

De Moivre's Theorem allows us to express the integral of sin^m(x)cos^n(x) as a combination of trigonometric functions. By using the binomial theorem to expand (sin x + cos x)^m+n, we can then use the theorem to simplify the resulting expression. This allows us to solve integrals involving powers of sin x and cos x.

3. What are some applications of De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to simplify complex calculations involving trigonometric functions, and can also be used to solve differential equations and describe periodic phenomena.

4. How does De Moivre's Theorem relate to Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a special case of De Moivre's Theorem, where the complex number z = 1. In this case, the formula becomes e^ix = cos x + isin x, which is a fundamental relationship between exponential and trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any limitations to De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is limited to dealing with powers of complex numbers and trigonometric functions. It cannot be used to solve integrals involving other types of functions, such as logarithmic or exponential functions. Additionally, it is only applicable to integrals with finite limits of integration.