1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I De Movire's theorem

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    I want to know about applications of De Movire's theorem for root extraction.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Perhaps the greatest value of De Moivre's Theorem, is the ability to find the n distinct roots of a complex number.

Let ##z = p(cos\theta + isin\theta)## and let ##z^{n} = w##. Then if ##w = r(cos\phi+ isin\phi)##, ##z^{n} = [p(cos\theta + isin\theta)]^{n}## we have
    that ##p^{n}[cos(n\theta) +isin(n\theta)] = r(cos\phi+ isin\phi)##. That implies that ##p^{n} = r## and ##n\theta = \phi##, or equivalently ##p =
    \sqrt[\leftroot{-2}\uproot{2}n]{r}## and ##\theta = \frac{\phi}{n}##. But ##sin## and ##cos## have period of ##2\pi## so ##n\theta = \phi + 2\pi k## or equivalently ##\theta = \frac{\phi + 2\pi k}{n}##, ##k = 0, 1, 2, \cdots, n - 1##. If we set ##k = n## the solutions are repeated . So, for a positive integer ##n##, we find ##n## distinct ##n-th## roots for the complex number ##w = r(cos\phi+ isin\phi)## : ##z = \sqrt[\leftroot{-2}\uproot{2}n]{r} [cos \frac{\phi + 2\pi k}{n} + isin \frac{\phi + 2\pi k}{n}]##.

With the help of the above formula, we can compute the ##n- th## roots of e.g ##1## or maybe some specific roots, e.g ##4 - th##.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. Aug 2, 2016 #3
    Thanks for helping me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted