Calculating Time of Death Using Newton's Law of Cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the constant k and solving for the time of death in a murder case based on the recorded temperature of the victim's body. The solution leads to a negative time, which is acceptable in this scenario.
rocomath
So I have a slight problem since I'm getting a negative for time.

A murder victim is discovered at midnight and the temperature of the body is recorded at 31C. One hour later, the temperature of the body is 29C. Assume that the surrounding air temperature remains constant at 21C.

a) Find k

[tex]T=A+(T_0-A)e^{-kt}[/tex]

[tex]T(1)=21+(31-21)e^{-k}=29[/tex]

[tex]k=\ln{\frac 5 4}[/tex]

b) Solve for t

[tex]37=21+(31-21)e^{-t\ln{\frac 5 4}}[/tex]

[tex]16=10e^{\ln{\frac 4 5}^t}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{\ln{\frac 8 5}}{\ln{\frac 4 5}}[/tex]

But this gives me a negative t. Would that be okay since I'm trying to use this t value to compute an earlier time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

t=0 when the body is discovered and is at 31 C. So it would have been 37 C at an earlier (negative) time.

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical formula that describes how the temperature of an object changes over time when in contact with a cooler surrounding environment.

What are the three components of Newton's Law of Cooling?

The three components of Newton's Law of Cooling are the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the time elapsed.

How does Newton's Law of Cooling relate to heat transfer?

Newton's Law of Cooling is used to describe the rate at which heat is transferred from an object to its surrounding environment. It is based on the concept of thermal equilibrium, where the object and its environment eventually reach the same temperature.

What factors can affect the rate of cooling described by Newton's Law?

The rate of cooling described by Newton's Law can be affected by factors such as the difference in temperature between the object and its surrounding environment, the material and surface area of the object, and the presence of any insulating materials.

How is Newton's Law of Cooling used in practical applications?

Newton's Law of Cooling is used in various practical applications, such as determining the optimal cooling time for foods, predicting the rate of cooling in industrial processes, and calculating the cooling rate of electronic devices to prevent overheating.