Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE with Dirac/Delta Impulse

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    Hey experts,

I have the following differential equation with an impulse described by the Dirac delta function

dx/dt (t) = - a⋅x(t) + d⋅delta(t) x(0)=0

with a,d scalars. My problem is this delta function in the right hand side.

Is there an equivalent formulation without the delta function, e.g. putting the d into the initial value?

How could I solve this numerically, e.g. in Matlab?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. May 6, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "delta function" is defined in terms of its integral properties so we want to be able to write a solution in terms of an integral. This is a linear equation so it is easy to find an "integrating factor". Write the equation as [itex]dx/dt+ ax= \delta(t)[/itex]. We want to find a function u(t) such that multiplying by it, to get u dx/dt+ axu, gives an "exact derivative", d(ux)/dt. Of course, d(ux)/dt= u(dx/dt)+ (du/dt)x so, setting those equal, u(dx/dt}+ (du/dt)x= u (dx/dt)+ axu, we must have (du/dx)x= axu or just du/dt= au which has [itex]u= e^{at}[/itex] as a solution.

That is, our equation is just [itex]e^{at}(dx/dt)+ axe^{at}= d(e^{at}x)/dt= e^{at}\delta(t)[/itex] and we solve by integrating both sides, integrating from negative infinity to t:
    The integral of [itex]e^{at}\delta(t)[/itex] is 0 if the integration does not include 0, [itex]e^{a(0)}= 1[/itex] if it does. [itex]e^{at}x(t)= C[/itex] or [itex]x(t)= Ce^{-at}[/itex] if t<0, [itex]e^{at}x(t)= 1+ C[/itex] or [itex]x(t)= (1+ C)e^{-at}[/itex] if [itex]t\ge 0[/itex]. Since we must have x(0)= 0, we must have x(0)= 1+ C= 0, C= -1.

[itex]x(t)= -e^{-at}[/itex] if t< 0, x(t)= 0 if [itex]t\ge 0[/itex].

5. May 6, 2013 #4
    Thanks guys,

Unfortunately, the final system I am interested in is much more complicated and contains the following non-linear equation (michaelis menten) as a sub unit.

dx/dt = - (a*x(t))/(b+x(t)) + d *delta(t) x(0) = 0

The example above was just a simple example. So it is more proper to write

dx/dt = f(x(t)) + d*delta(t) x(0)=x0

where x and d are n-dimensional. Hence, I cannot solve this analytically and therefore, I am looking for an equivalent formulation without delta (if it exists) or some numerically techniques to integrate to whole system with delta.

I hardly remember a talk about impulsive differential equations. Is this a IDE?

Any ideas?

6. May 6, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One approach to the numerical method is, depending on your method, to substitute for the Dirac delta function, an impulse that takes a finite amount of time but with similar properties under your numerical integration method.

i.e. if you method involves dividing the time axis into lots of smaller times ##\Delta t## then the ##\Delta t## block at t=0 corresponding to ##A\delta(t)## has value ##A/\Delta t## so the integral behaves itself.

I'm pretty sure HallsofIvy knows a better one though.

7. May 7, 2013 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

So this is enzyme kinetics? I think it is useful with ill-defined mathematical problems to discuss what they describe physically to pick the right solution. What does the delta term stand for? Where does integration start (t=0 or t=-infinity)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook