Solve DE with Substitution: y' = cos(x-y)

In summary, The problem is to solve the differential equation y' = cos(x-y). The general solution is found by using x-y=t and solving the integrals, resulting in the equation -cot(0.5(x-y)) = x + c. However, there is another solution, x-y=2πk, which is found to be undefined for cos(x-y) = 1. To check if this solution is true for all y, one can use the definition of y, which is x-2πk.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Solve:
y' = cos(x-y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using x-y=t and solving the integrals, I get that the general solution is:
-cot(0.5(x-y)) = x + c which is correct, but there's another solution which is x-y=2πk, but I don't understand why.
In the integral I get that it is undefined for 1-cost=0.
Meaning it is undefined for cost = 1, or cos(x-y) = 1.
Plugging it in the original problem to see if it satisfied it gives me y' = 1. How can I know if this is true for all y (I guess it is)...
I didn't exactly understand what do I need to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want to check that y'=1 you best start with the definition of y...which is just x-2πk...

1. What is the general approach for solving this type of differential equation?

The general approach for solving a differential equation with substitution is to substitute the given expression for y' into the differential equation and then solve for y. This involves using algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation into a form that can be easily solved.

2. How do you choose the substitution for this particular differential equation?

In order to choose the substitution for this differential equation, you need to identify a function that will simplify the equation by reducing the number of variables. In this case, the substitution x - y is a good choice because it helps to eliminate the variable y.

3. What are the steps for solving "y' = cos(x-y)" using substitution?

The steps for solving this differential equation with substitution are as follows:

1. Substitute the given expression for y' into the differential equation.
  2. Use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation into a form that can be easily solved.
  3. Integrate both sides of the equation to find the general solution.
  4. Apply initial conditions, if given, to find the particular solution.

4. Can you explain the reasoning behind using the substitution x - y for this differential equation?

The reasoning behind using this particular substitution is to simplify the equation by reducing the number of variables. In this case, the substitution helps to eliminate the variable y, making the equation easier to solve.

5. Are there any other substitutions that could be used for this differential equation?

Yes, there are other substitutions that could be used for this differential equation. For example, you could also use the substitution x + y or x/y. However, the choice of substitution may depend on the specific context of the problem and the preferences of the solver.