Modeling Technology Adoption in a Community: Solving a Differential Equation

In summary: It means that the rate at which the technology spreads is directly proportional to both the number of people who use it and the number of people who do not use it. In other words, the more people who use the technology, the faster it will spread, and the more people who do not use it, the slower it will spread. In summary, the differential equation for the number of people, N(x), using the technology is dN/dx = kN(x)(5000 - N(x)) where k is a constant of proportionality. This can be solved using any method to obtain the general solution.
aatkins09
A new technology is introduced into a community of 5000 individuals. If the rate dN/dx at which the technology spreads through the community is JOINTLY PROPORTIONAL to the number of people who use the technology AND the number of people who do not use it,
(1)WRITE A DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION FOR THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE, N(x) WHO USE THE TECHNOLOGY.

(2)SOLVE FOR THE GENERAL SOLUTION TO THE DE BY ANY METHOD.

iF SOMEONE CAN HELP WITH THE EQUATION PART THEN I CAN SOLVE IT, I JUST HAVE NOOOOOO IDEA HOW TO GET THE EQUATION.

all I can think of is
dN/dx=N(x)
but there has to be more to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi aatkins09! welcome to pf! :smile:
aatkins09 said:
A new technology is introduced into a community of 5000 individuals. If the rate dN/dx at which the technology spreads through the community is JOINTLY PROPORTIONAL to the number of people who use the technology AND the number of people who do not use it,

all I can think of is
dN/dx=N(x)
but there has to be more to it.

i don't see a "500" in there :confused:

it's really very simple, all you need to is to translate the english into maths :smile:

ok, try translating into maths:
i] "the number of people who use the technology"
ii] "the number of people who do not use it" :wink:

Do you understand what jointly proportional means?

1. What is a "DE Word Problem"?

A "DE Word Problem" refers to a word problem that involves solving a differential equation. Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of physical systems over time.

2. Why do we need help with "DE Word Problems"?

DE Word Problems can be challenging to solve because they require a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations. Additionally, they often involve real-world scenarios, making them more complex. Seeking help can aid in understanding the problem and finding the correct solution.

3. How do I solve a "DE Word Problem"?

To solve a "DE Word Problem," you first need to identify the differential equation and any given initial conditions. Then, use your knowledge of differential equations and calculus to solve the equation and find the solution. Check your solution to ensure it satisfies the initial conditions.

4. Can I use technology to solve "DE Word Problems"?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or computer software to solve "DE Word Problems." However, it is essential to understand the concepts and techniques used in solving these problems rather than solely relying on technology.

5. Are there any tips for solving "DE Word Problems"?

Some tips for solving "DE Word Problems" include understanding the given scenario, identifying the differential equation, using the correct techniques, and checking your solution. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of DE Word Problems to improve your skills.