Unusual Items on eBay: A Look at the Deal of the Decade and Eggo Waffle Auctions

• Thread starter Adrian Baker
  • Start date
In summary, the woman is selling her husband's car because he left her for another woman. He told her to sell all his possessions and send him the proceeds. The car was sold for £20 and the woman received a cheque for £10. The buyer snapped up the car in five minutes. The woman is going to be a bad fight when her husband gets home because she didn't make any money out of the sale.
Adrian Baker
Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=4556985749&rd=1

Look at the price and read the sellers blurb below the item details

Do I detect a slight marital dispute here? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oooohhh, that's harsh! :rofl:

Ouch! I don't think counseling is going to fix this one.

Whats for sale the car, house, man?

The car.10char

I read an urban legend like this ages ago.

The man had left his wife for another woman, and gone to live abroad. He told her to sell all his possessions and send him the proceeds. She sold his Porsche for £20, and sent him a cheque...

To a true car lover, this woman is almost in the same class as Lorena Bobbitt. :eek:

You know, the deal got snapped up in five minutes. I wonder what the chances are that the buyer actually lives close enough to pick up the car... and I wonder what the woman will do if he doesn't. What can she legally do?

Also, why would the car be in her name if her husband loved it so much that selling it would be a way to get back at him?

becuase her husband couldn't afford it

BicycleTree said:
You know, the deal got snapped up in five minutes. I wonder what the chances are that the buyer actually lives close enough to pick up the car... and I wonder what the woman will do if he doesn't. What can she legally do?

Also, why would the car be in her name if her husband loved it so much that selling it would be a way to get back at him?

Cos it's more expensive to insure a car if you're a 'he' than if you're a 'she', perhaps?

She's really stupid. If she really owned it, she could have driven it into any car dealer and sold it on the spot and at least made some money.

Evo said:
She's really stupid. If she really owned it, she could have driven it into any car dealer and sold it on the spot and at least made some money.

No, she understands a guy's Psyche Evo..

Sellling it for a decent price would be bad, but selling a petrol-head's pride and joy for 50p would hurt oh so much... The humiliation! The shame!
:cry: :cry:

It would be absolutely unbearable...

Evo said:

Oh, geez, I didn't even notice the selling price! That is stupid. If it's in her name, he couldn't take it with him when she kicked him out anyway. She could have even just driven it and parked it away from the house so he couldn't try. She could have used the profit to pay the divorce lawyer. But what a deal for the person who got the car!

Evo said:

I think that was the point. He's going to be even more pissed off that she didn't even make any money out of it.

that's going to be a bad fight when he gets home...

fibonacci

Hmm... that would be a fantastic way to get rid of an old broken car. She's given no specifics, and not actually said whether the thing works or not. Sell the thing for 50p, and then the new owner would have to pay to have it towed away :biggrin:

It amazes me, the things that are sold on E-bay. On one hand you have the above and on the other you have this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5591163987&rd=1

theCandyman said:
It amazes me, the things that are sold on E-bay. On one hand you have the above and on the other you have this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5591163987&rd=1
So they allow this nut case to go on for a week, but they shut down the guy selling the "entire universe"? What gives? :mad:

And what's up with this? Isn't this basically just a lottery and therefore illegal?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1467&item=5591385470&rd=1

Edit: I see that the seller has added this disclaimer: "This auction is for the stuffed squirrel ONLY. As a free gift I will be including cash to fill his belly with. This is not a lottery, raffle, or gimmick and complies with all of ebay's rules and regulations." What a joke. :rolleyes:

theCandyman said:
:bugeye: Someone actually bid CDN$60 for them...for Eggo waffles with writing on them. :confused:

What is the "Deal of the Decade" on eBay?

The "Deal of the Decade" on eBay refers to a highly desirable or valuable item that is being sold at a significantly reduced price compared to its normal market value. It is often a rare or unique item that is in high demand among collectors or enthusiasts.

How can I find the "Deal of the Decade" on eBay?

The "Deal of the Decade" can be found by regularly browsing through eBay listings, using filters and search tools to narrow down your results, and keeping an eye out for limited-time sales or promotions. It can also be helpful to follow popular sellers or join online communities that share information about great deals on eBay.

Is the "Deal of the Decade" on eBay always a good deal?

No, not necessarily. While the "Deal of the Decade" may be a great bargain compared to its usual price, it is important to do your research and make sure that the item is authentic, in good condition, and worth the price. It is also important to consider any additional fees or shipping costs that may affect the overall cost of the item.

What should I do if I suspect a "Deal of the Decade" on eBay is a scam?

If you have any doubts about the authenticity or legitimacy of a "Deal of the Decade" on eBay, it is best to err on the side of caution and avoid making a purchase. You can also report suspicious listings to eBay's customer service team for further investigation.

Can I negotiate the price of the "Deal of the Decade" on eBay?

In most cases, the price of the "Deal of the Decade" on eBay is already heavily discounted and may not be negotiable. However, it never hurts to try negotiating with the seller, especially if the item has been listed for a long time or if you are purchasing multiple items from the same seller. Just make sure to be polite and reasonable in your negotiations.