Dealing with Old Age: FDA Supplements & Reports | NY Times

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: It was his 90th birthday. they are both a lot frailer than when I saw them last, a couple of years ago. My mom is going downhill reasonably quickly also after 2 falls which has quickened the onset of dementia ( hard head hits in both falls).This NY Times article discusses the FDA crackdown of supplements intended to prevent things like dementia and two reports about simple actions individuals can take that might have positive effects.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This NY Times article discusses:
an FDA crackdown of supplements intended to prevent things like dementia (they don't do much of anything)
as well as discussing the results of two reports about simple actions individuals can take that (unlike supplements) might have positive effects.

National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine in 2017 recommended:
  • Increased physical activity;
  • Blood pressure management for people with hypertension, particularly in midlife;
  • And cognitive training (the concept of being mentally active)
The Lancet Commission on Dementia Prevention, Intervention and Care also recommended:
  • hypertension treatment for the middle-aged,
  • along with exercise,
  • social engagement
  • smoking cessation
  • management of obesity
  • diabetes
  • hearing loss
  • depression

Likes Drakkith, Wrichik Basu, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
They recommend diabetes, hearing loss and depression? Wow...someone forgot to take their supplements!

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, nuuskur, ZeGato and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
They recommend diabetes, hearing loss and depression? Wow...someone forgot to take their supplements!
Good catch :oldbiggrin:

Likes davenn
I had a friend die of dementia a few years ago. Very active, engaging sportsman, seemingly good health. One day while fishing with some friends in a familiar area he indicated he did not know where he was. About three years later he died. That is one disease as well as a stroke that I am most concerned about if it makes any sense to be concerned about something that you may not have any control over. .

I think I am close to being the oldest on this forum. so this subject often pops into my mind. I am not so much interested in longevity but more in the quality of my remaining years. My health is good so far, no meds, BP is normal for my age.and never smoked. I believe as stated above that physical activity, social engagement, and being mentally active (think Physics Forum) are very important in staving off health issues with physical activity probably being the most important.. Regarding physical activity we think in terms of aerobic or strength exercises which of course are important but I would also include flexibility exercises, as tightness in the joints has a fast onset when you stop moving which causes you to restrict your motions more and downgrades the quality of your activity.

I hedge my bets a little by taking a multi vitamin about three times a week. Old people don't seem to absorb those things as well as they use to. Can't hurt. Keep your weight in control, Eat healthy, keep moving. Maintain a positive attitude.. Keep excited about what you are doing. Remain relevant.

Likes collinsmark, Astronuc, 2milehi and 3 others
My mom has frontal lobe dementia. She turned 88 this past January.

I saw her three weeks ago, and she did not recognize me as her son. She kept asking dad and my sister-in-law for my name. She and dad are essentially housebound, since she can barely walk. She has to use a walker, but sometimes, she gets away from it. Sometimes dad puts it out of her reach, and apparently she fell three times last week trying to walk without the walker. This last visit is probably the last time I will see her alive.

Dad will turn 90 later this year. He is still mentally sharp, but caring for mom is taking a toll on him, and he is slowly losing his sight to macular degeneration.

• Sad
Likes Spinnor, Wrichik Basu and Drakkith
Astronuc said:
This last visit is probably the last time I will see her alive.
Ohhh man :frown:

I so know that feeling. I got back from New Zealand last weekend. Apart from catching up with kids and granddaughter, the main point of the trip was to see mom and dad. It was his 90th birthday. they are both a lot frailer than when I saw them last, a couple of years ago. My mom is going downhill reasonably quickly also after 2 falls which has quickened the onset of dementia ( hard head hits in both falls).

Astronuc said:
This last visit is probably the last time I will see her alive.

Exact same position :cry: it brings me to tears just typing this. Bawled my eyes out as I drove out of the driveway :frown:

Astronuc said:
Dad will turn 90 later this year. He is still mentally sharp, but caring for mom is taking a toll on him

Dad was 90 on 17 Mar. a St Paddy's lad :smile: and yes he's still pretty good mentally, has been a little forgetful for years haha. Mom is 89 in late June this year. Her nite-time episodes are taking a serious toll on dads health. Just wearing him out with the broken nite's sleep and the stress

They are both still living at home with very good daytime home care visits to help with checking on medicine taking, showering and other general household chores. But it is these nite-time problems that are causing the real issues. My sister and brother have been trying to find a decent aged care facility to get them into but there's huge waiting lists etc.

My thoughts go out to you, mateDave

Likes Spinnor

1. What is the role of the FDA in regulating supplements for old age?

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is responsible for regulating dietary supplements, including those marketed for old age. The agency ensures that these supplements are safe, properly labeled, and do not make false claims about their effectiveness.

2. Are there any supplements that are specifically recommended for older adults?

The FDA does not recommend any specific supplements for old age. However, some supplements, such as calcium and vitamin D, may be beneficial for older adults to support bone health. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements.

3. How can I determine if a supplement is safe for me to take as an older adult?

The FDA requires dietary supplements to be labeled with a statement that they are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is important to carefully read the labels and consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking other medications.

4. What should I do if I experience any negative side effects from a supplement?

If you experience any negative side effects from a supplement, stop taking it immediately and consult with a healthcare professional. It is also important to report any adverse effects to the FDA's MedWatch program, which tracks safety concerns with dietary supplements.

5. Are there any reports or studies on the effectiveness of supplements for old age?

The FDA does not conduct its own studies on the effectiveness of supplements for old age. However, the agency does review scientific evidence submitted by supplement manufacturers to support their claims. It is important to critically evaluate these claims and consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements.

Back