Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dear EE'S! I need help - sizing electromagnets

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    Dear EE'S! I need help -- sizing electromagnets

Is it possibile to built different electromagnet's sizes, that can produce the same magnetic field and forces(e.g attraction/repulsion)?
    If so how can I do that? By following this law: B = unl
    By controlling the number of turns or the amount of current flowing in, I can do that?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    The reason, is that I'd like to expand the electromagnet's area without changing the magnetic field or the forces that I was able to get from my frist electromagnet X.
    I want to build electromagnet Y that is larger and equally the same as X interms of the magnetic field and forces.

Since I'm only increasing the physical size of the electromagnet's area/w x h would that require more input?(I have a limited power source!).

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    I would recommend trying out your re-scaling using a simulator. Search for 'vizimag', it's free and relatively easy to use. It will also calculate magnetic forces, which is not a simple problem.

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4
    Ow I forgot to say!
    That I'm just increasing the area of the core. So the electromagnet would be bigger.
    I guess that the number of turns would decrease, the current would stay the same and its possibile to do?

6. Mar 29, 2013 #5
    Your question is not clear.
    If you provide more information and maybe some sketches, someone may be able to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook