Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dear EE'S! I need help - sizing electromagnets

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    Dear EE'S! I need help -- sizing electromagnets

Is it possibile to built different electromagnet's sizes, that can produce the same magnetic field and forces(e.g attraction/repulsion)?
    If so how can I do that? By following this law: B = unl
    By controlling the number of turns or the amount of current flowing in, I can do that?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    The reason, is that I'd like to expand the electromagnet's area without changing the magnetic field or the forces that I was able to get from my frist electromagnet X.
    I want to build electromagnet Y that is larger and equally the same as X interms of the magnetic field and forces.

Since I'm only increasing the physical size of the electromagnet's area/w x h would that require more input?(I have a limited power source!).

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    I would recommend trying out your re-scaling using a simulator. Search for 'vizimag', it's free and relatively easy to use. It will also calculate magnetic forces, which is not a simple problem.

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4
    Ow I forgot to say!
    That I'm just increasing the area of the core. So the electromagnet would be bigger.
    I guess that the number of turns would decrease, the current would stay the same and its possibile to do?

6. Mar 29, 2013 #5
    Your question is not clear.
    If you provide more information and maybe some sketches, someone may be able to help you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook