1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dear Physics Forums

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Dear PF,

Your last help to my tech support was very helpful and i thank you all for it :). however since i am new to my TI-Titanum, i unfortunalty have another stupid question. i was using the "slove(" function. and i inserted into the home screen (exactly what i typed in):

solve((-1/2)^x=1/4,X)

i mean.... the answer should be 2 right?
    somehow i got a "false" answer
    i was just wondering if it is my calculators problem or if if everyones calcucators.
    Please try on your own calculators and post results

thank you and please reply asap :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    Perhaps you should try == rather = and see what you get.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi 2Xist,

I believe solve() restricts its algorithm to be over real numbers; while it is trying to solve your equation for x it runs into a complex expression.

If you use csolve() you will get a sequence of complex answers (as a complicated expression) one of which is the value 2; you can find the real answer you're looking for by forcing the imaginary part of the sequence to be zero. I don't think that's very practical if all you want is the real solution, but it does work.

You can eliminate the negative sign by hand (putting a contraint on x) and the use solve(). (But I hope you're solving all the problems by hand and only trying to check your work using solve().)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?