Solve (-1/2)^x=1/4 with TI-Titanium Calculator

In summary, using the "slove()" function in the home screen gave you a "false" answer. You can solve this equation by hand or by using the "csolve()" function. If you use csolve(), you will get a sequence of complex answers one of which is the value 2.
2Xist
Dear PF,

Your last help to my tech support was very helpful and i thank you all for it :). however since i am new to my TI-Titanum, i unfortunalty have another stupid question. i was using the "slove(" function. and i inserted into the home screen (exactly what i typed in):

solve((-1/2)^x=1/4,X)

i mean... the answer should be 2 right?
somehow i got a "false" answer
i was just wondering if it is my calculators problem or if if everyones calcucators.
Please try on your own calculators and post results

thank you and please reply asap :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should try == rather = and see what you get.

Hi 2Xist,

2Xist said:
Dear PF,

Your last help to my tech support was very helpful and i thank you all for it :). however since i am new to my TI-Titanum, i unfortunalty have another stupid question. i was using the "slove(" function. and i inserted into the home screen (exactly what i typed in):

solve((-1/2)^x=1/4,X)

i mean... the answer should be 2 right?
somehow i got a "false" answer
i was just wondering if it is my calculators problem or if if everyones calcucators.
Please try on your own calculators and post results

thank you and please reply asap :)

I believe solve() restricts its algorithm to be over real numbers; while it is trying to solve your equation for x it runs into a complex expression.

If you use csolve() you will get a sequence of complex answers (as a complicated expression) one of which is the value 2; you can find the real answer you're looking for by forcing the imaginary part of the sequence to be zero. I don't think that's very practical if all you want is the real solution, but it does work.

You can eliminate the negative sign by hand (putting a contraint on x) and the use solve(). (But I hope you're solving all the problems by hand and only trying to check your work using solve().)

What is the first step to solving (-1/2)^x=1/4 with a TI-Titanium Calculator?

The first step is to enter the equation into the calculator by pressing the "Y=" button and typing in "-0.5^x=0.25".

How do I solve the equation using the TI-Titanium Calculator?

Press the "2nd" button and then the "ln" button to access the natural logarithm function. Then, input the values as follows: "ln(0.25)/ln(-0.5)". The calculator will display the value of x, which is approximately 1.3863.

Can I solve this equation without using the natural logarithm function?

Yes, you can also use the "solve" function on the TI-Titanium Calculator. Press the "2nd" button and then the "calc" button. Select "5: solve" from the menu and then input the equation as "-0.5^x-0.25=0". The calculator will display the value of x, which is also approximately 1.3863.

Can I solve this equation without a TI-Titanium Calculator?

Yes, you can also solve this equation by hand using logarithmic properties. Rewrite the equation as ln(-0.5^x)=ln(0.25). Then, use the power and product properties of logarithms to simplify the equation to xln(-0.5)=ln(0.25). Finally, divide both sides by ln(-0.5) to get the value of x.

Is there a way to check my answer on the TI-Titanium Calculator?

Yes, you can check your answer by plugging in the calculated value of x into the original equation. If the equation is true, then your answer is correct. You can also use the "table" function on the calculator to see if the x-value produces the same y-value for both sides of the equation.