What are some of the standout tracks on Death Cab for Cutie's new album Plans?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, Death Cab for Cutie's new album "Plans" is a great follow up to "Transatlantiscism." The album has 11 tracks and clocks in at 45 minutes. The tracks are as follows: 1. Marching Bands of Manhattan2. Soul Meets Body3. Summer Skin4. Different Names for the Same Thing5. I Will Follow You into the Dark6. Your Heart Is an Empty Room7. Someday You Will Be Loved8. Crooked Teeth9. What Sarah Said10. Brothers on a Hotel Bus11. Stable SongThe album is not as short as
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
I'm probably not the only one here that likes indie-rock. Having just been released, what do you think of Death Cab for Cutie's new album "Plans"? I think is a great follow up to "Transatlantiscism" which I enjoyed tremendously. As always this band has great lyrics, but their albums always feel short. "Plans" clocks in at 45 minutes with 11 tracks. The tracks are as follows:

1. Marching Bands of Manhattan
2. Soul Meets Body
3. Summer Skin
4. Different Names for the Same Thing
5. I Will Follow You into the Dark
6. Your Heart Is an Empty Room
7. Someday You Will Be Loved
8. Crooked Teeth
9. What Sarah Said
10. Brothers on a Hotel Bus
11. Stable Song

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard anything by this band, but in regards to short albums, one of my all-time favorite albums is Nick Drakes's Pink Moon, which clocks in at just over 28 minutes.

[Note here how I managed to begin the hijack of a thread very early in the thread's development. It probably won't work, but we'll see.]

I've listened to some of Plans, and found it kind of bland, quite frankly. I may give it a few listens though. I haven't really listened to Transatlanticism either. (I usually get an album through file sharing, and see if I like it first).

CD's I've picked up recently:

(1) Gorillaz - Demon Days. Love this album and can listen to it from beginning to end continuously. So effing good. It's the music of now and the near future. I'm a bit shocked it's doing well on the charts given that it's not very conventional. It has much more in common with underground electronic dance music than anything you'd hear on radio these days.

(2) Bloc Party - Silent Alarm. Really like this album, especially Banquet. Excellent alternative rock. (The Bravery album is another album I'd like to get soon).

(3) Arcade Fire - Funeral. Also alternative rock. Terrific album. Gorgeous at points.

(4) Common - Be. Very good, chill, classy hip-hop.

(5) Kanye West - Late Registration. Listened to this only once because Demon Days is mostly crowding out my CD player. Based on this listen, and the many tracks I've heard on the radio, I don't like it nearly as much as his first album.

(6) Tony Yayo - Thoughts of a Predicate Felon. Guilty pleasure, gangsta-rap. Probably not the highest quality stuff out there, but there are some nice beats.

(7) Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business. Impulse buy based on the catchy two radio singles. Unfortunately, the rest of the album sucks, and I totally regret this purchase.

Burn The Black Eyed Peas as soon as possible! eh gads..what were you thinking? ohhh I see, a impulse buy, yep we all have done that, your forgiven.

I will give Death Cab for Cutie a listen to

juvenal said:
(3) Arcade Fire - Funeral. Also alternative rock. Terrific album. Gorgeous at points.

That's an awesome album.

Other good ones that some may not have heard of, similar style:

Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Thirteen Senses - The Invitation

Oh, I don't want to hijack the thread, so in reply to dduardo, I haven't heard their stuff but I'll certainly check it out thx!

I find Death Cab for Cutie' music unique because it has the rock base-line plus meaningful lyrics plus repeatability. This combination is hard to come by nowadays.

The type of rock they play isn't Green Day or Metallica. The base-line is strong throughout making for foot tapping music. There is a nice combination of mellow/fun music. There are songs like "Crooked Teeth" that can be cranked up.

To really appreciate the lyrics I suggest listening through the album with headphones. It also makes the music a more personal experience.

I can play the cd from start to finish over and over and for some reason I don't get bored. It seems fresh everytime. Also, when you listen to the album your listening to an album, not a couple good songs and the rest is junk.

dduardo said:
I'm probably not the only one here that likes indie-rock. Having just been released, what do you think of Death Cab for Cutie's new album "Plans"? I think is a great follow up to "Transatlantiscism" which I enjoyed tremendously.

What are some of your favorite songs from Transatlantiscism? I downloaded some from their new album and it's great music. Thanks!

Can I say all the songs? I guess the most get on your feet and jump around song has to be "The Sound Of Settling"

no one loves pantera? :cry:

i'm sure there is someone who likes metallica- ride the lightening- fade to black :uhh: . that's the only soft song i love by metallica. :approve:

I like heavy-metal and have tons of Metallica CDs, but look at the title of this thread. Why do people hijack this thread. :cry:

gurkhawarhorse said:
no one loves pantera? :cry:

Revolution is my name is a great song.

dduardo said:
Why do people hijack this thread. :cry:

I'm going to bring it back by saying that both these albums by Death Cab for Cutie are fantastic.:approve:

Hehe, the lyrics in "We Looked Like Giants" are so sexual. Great song.

"Every Thursday,
I'd brave those mountain passes,
and you'd skip your early classes,
and we'd learn how our bodies work."

The song is amazing, great instrumentals and lyrics that you can relate to from teenage years.

dduardo is my hero!

rocketboy said:
Revolution is my name is a great song.

so u r the johny boy huh? :rolleyes:
dont see its vedio its rubbish, the music is great.

gurkhawarhorse said:
so u r the johny boy huh? :rolleyes:
Yup that's me. :approve: (jonny boy not 'johny'...jeez man *shakes head in disgust* lol jk)

indie sux, hardline sux, emo sux

smurf sux. O how easy it is to get childish.

not an AF fan then? :rolleyes:

hey dduardo, you have good taste what other indie rock do you listen to?

I've listened to Transatlanticism a bit. It's not bad - but the lead vocalist's voice and style of vocalization/enunciation bug me, kind of like the way Michael Stipe's (R.E.M) voice bugs me - so I can't imagine myself buying their stuff.

I picked up the The Bravery's album ($8 at Target). Good stuff. A musically more mature version of The Killer's Hot Fuss (which I enjoy nonetheless).

hypatia said:
Burn The Black Eyed Peas as soon as possible! eh gads..what were you thinking? ohhh I see, a impulse buy, yep we all have done that, your forgiven.

It's good to have a few fun, crowd-pleasing CD's in your collection. I actually like "Don't Lie" and "Don't Phunk With My Heart". The problem is the rest sucks - neither fun nor crowd-pleasing.

What is the meaning behind the title "Plans"?

The title "Plans" refers to the concept of making plans for the future and the uncertainty of those plans coming to fruition. It also reflects on the theme of the album, which explores the idea of loss and acceptance.

Who is the lead singer and songwriter of Death Cab for Cutie?

The lead singer and songwriter of Death Cab for Cutie is Ben Gibbard. He formed the band in 1997 and has been the main creative force behind their music.

What inspired the songs on "Plans"?

The songs on "Plans" were inspired by personal experiences and reflections on life and relationships. Ben Gibbard has stated that the album was heavily influenced by the death of a family member and the end of a long-term relationship.

When was "Plans" released?

"Plans" was released on August 30, 2005. It was the band's fifth studio album and their first to reach the top 10 on the US Billboard 200 chart.

What is the most popular song from "Plans"?

The most popular song from "Plans" is "I Will Follow You into the Dark". It was the first single released from the album and has become a fan favorite, often performed at concerts and covered by other artists.

Back