Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Death Cat?

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2
    Perhaps the cat is carrying some sort of bacteria that is actually killing the patients he visits! :eek::bugeye:

4. Jul 26, 2007 #3
    How many of the patients were aware of the cat's reputation before the cat came to visit them?

5. Jul 26, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps the cat can sense impending death. Maybe there is something that happens in the body which the cat can pick up on, in a similar fashion to how dogs can smell cancer. If there is one animal that experiences the death of other animals most often it will be a cat.

6. Jul 26, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

What? :confused:

7. Jul 26, 2007 #6
  8. Jul 26, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jul 26, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the patients in this ward are usually in such a state that they can't even recognize the cat's presence to begin with.

10. Jul 26, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the article says the cat generally doesn't like people, so maybe it's just that it's the only time he is allowed to stay in a soft bed without anyone trying to pet him.

I'd like to know how often he might just curl up with a sleeping patient not near death, or how many patients die that Oscar doesn't visit to see if it's just chance, or if there might be a certain cause of death he's able to detect.

Or, maybe he just has a penchant for curling up with people who are deathly allergic to cats. :uhh:

11. Jul 26, 2007 #10
    Great article. We know that cats have very well engineered senses. Maybe they pick up a change of smell coming from the human body ? I dunno...

Great cat though.
    I wanna be surrounded by them when i die, that's a fact.

marlon

12. Jul 26, 2007 #11
    The article agrees with you:

What precautions are being made to insure that the patient is unaware before they allow the cat in? By no means would I allow this cat into my nursing home.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  13. Jul 26, 2007 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why not? Perhaps it wants someone to be with these people in their last moments so they don't die alone.

I had a sick kitten and I knew it was dying when another kitten suddenly refused to leave it's side not even to eat, it just wrapped himself around the sick kitten, kept it warm, groomed it, it really cheered the little dying one up in those last hours. :cry:

14. Jul 26, 2007 #13
    Because the patient may be awake and may not be dying.

15. Jul 26, 2007 #14

Evo

I don't think anyone is going to kill the patient if they don't die after the cat shows up. :biggrin:

16. Jul 26, 2007 #15
    I think the cat was sitting on their face when they slept and smothered them. :rofl:

17. Jul 26, 2007 #16

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. That's exactly the thing I'd like to know as well. Does the cat curl up next to patients who don't die? How often and for how long? How often do patients there die, anyway? Do people tend to notice the cat if it curls up with people who don't die?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  18. Jul 26, 2007 #17

Evo

I was thinking the same thing.

19. Jul 26, 2007 #18

russ_watters

Clearly, this is not a cat - it is Chuck Norris!

20. Jul 26, 2007 #19
    It's a real medical issue. If the patient sees the cat lying down next to them, they may lose the will to live.

21. Jul 26, 2007 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Thats going to be my new excuse when anything goes wrong. Clearly it was Chuck Norris!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?