Death Cat?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Death Cat??

Is this cat the grim reaper, or just a companion for those who need it most?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/death.cat.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Perhaps the cat is carrying some sort of bacteria that is actually killing the patients he visits! :eek::bugeye:

How many of the patients were aware of the cat's reputation before the cat came to visit them?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps the cat can sense impending death. Maybe there is something that happens in the body which the cat can pick up on, in a similar fashion to how dogs can smell cancer. If there is one animal that experiences the death of other animals most often it will be a cat.

radou
Homework Helper
in a similar fashion to how dogs can smell cancer.
What? :confused:

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How many of the patients were aware of the cat's reputation before the cat came to visit them?
I think the patients in this ward are usually in such a state that they can't even recognize the cat's presence to begin with.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, the article says the cat generally doesn't like people, so maybe it's just that it's the only time he is allowed to stay in a soft bed without anyone trying to pet him.

I'd like to know how often he might just curl up with a sleeping patient not near death, or how many patients die that Oscar doesn't visit to see if it's just chance, or if there might be a certain cause of death he's able to detect.

Or, maybe he just has a penchant for curling up with people who are deathly allergic to cats. :uhh:

Is this cat the grim reaper, or just a companion for those who need it most?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/death.cat.ap/index.html [Broken]
Great article. We know that cats have very well engineered senses. Maybe they pick up a change of smell coming from the human body ? I dunno...

Great cat though.
I wanna be surrounded by them when i die, that's a fact.

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the patients in this ward are usually in such a state that they can't even recognize the cat's presence to begin with.
The article agrees with you:

article said:
Doctors say most of the people who get a visit from the sweet-faced, gray-and-white cat are so ill they probably don't know he's there, so patients aren't aware he's a harbinger of death.
What precautions are being made to insure that the patient is unaware before they allow the cat in? By no means would I allow this cat into my nursing home.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
The article agrees with you:

What precautions are being made to insure that the patient is unaware before they allow the cat in? By no means would I allow this cat into my nursing home.
Why not? Perhaps it wants someone to be with these people in their last moments so they don't die alone.

I had a sick kitten and I knew it was dying when another kitten suddenly refused to leave it's side not even to eat, it just wrapped himself around the sick kitten, kept it warm, groomed it, it really cheered the little dying one up in those last hours. :cry:

Why not?
Because the patient may be awake and may not be dying.

Evo
Mentor
Because the patient may be awake and may not be dying.
I don't think anyone is going to kill the patient if they don't die after the cat shows up. :biggrin:

I think the cat was sitting on their face when they slept and smothered them. :rofl:

siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'd like to know how often he might just curl up with a sleeping patient not near death, or how many patients die that Oscar doesn't visit to see if it's just chance, or if there might be a certain cause of death he's able to detect.
Right. That's exactly the thing I'd like to know as well. Does the cat curl up next to patients who don't die? How often and for how long? How often do patients there die, anyway? Do people tend to notice the cat if it curls up with people who don't die?

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
I think the cat was sitting on their face when they slept and smothered them. :rofl:
I was thinking the same thing.

russ_watters
Mentor
Clearly, this is not a cat - it is Chuck Norris!

I don't think anyone is going to kill the patient if they don't die after the cat shows up. :biggrin:
It's a real medical issue. If the patient sees the cat lying down next to them, they may lose the will to live.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Clearly, this is not a cat - it is Chuck Norris!
:rofl: Thats going to be my new excuse when anything goes wrong. Clearly it was Chuck Norris!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Aah..I love the smell of death in the air. Or was that napalm??

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I agree...can you imagine if you know the cat has this reputation and it decides to curl up next to you and you're not quite ready to die yet? The fear alone could cause a heart attack in someone already frail.

Not to mention that it just seems generally unsanitary to have a cat roaming free in a hospital, and not everyone likes cats if it can just wander into any room it wants to visit. I'm surprised this is allowed at all.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I agree...can you imagine if you know the cat has this reputation and it decides to curl up next to you and you're not quite ready to die yet? The fear alone could cause a heart attack in someone already frail.
:bugeye: :eek:

Shoo, kitty! Shoo! Shoo!

Evo
Mentor
The article does say that family members of the patients find the cat's presence comforting.

turbo
Gold Member
There is a bit of cat "psychology" that might play into this, too. A person in hospice care or a nursing home who is in distress or at least getting a bit of extra attention is going to be visited more frequently, and the people visiting that ill person (especially the staff) won't spend a lot of time looking at a cat. Cats like brief eye contact, then a turn away. They interpret this as an invitation to come closer, and will often chum up to humans who will not or cannot make eye contact.