Death Cat?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The article does say that family members of the patients find the cat's presence comforting.
I can imagine that the cat does comfort the people who have family members in this nursing home. They are probably on the verge of loosing someone very close, and need some sort of companionship, even if it is just a furry, little guy, roaming the halls. Most people probably don't mind the cat, unless they don't like cats in general.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The article does say that family members of the patients find the cat's presence comforting.
That doesn't mean the patient finds it comforting to have the "grim reaper cat" cuddle up with them, even if their relatives do. And, they did mention that one family insisted the cat be removed, which would suggest they were NOT so comforted by its presence. This is quite different from having a therapy animal brought in to visit people who want to be visited by an animal, and having that therapy animal fully bathed and groomed before it can enter the building.

turbo
Gold Member
This is quite different from having a therapy animal brought in to visit people who want to be visited by an animal, and having that therapy animal fully bathed and groomed before it can enter the building.
Good point. People who are very ill often have immune systems that are highly compromised, and it might not be a good idea to trot animals in and out of their rooms. They might have been borderline-allergic to cat or dog dander while in good health, and experience some pretty strong histamine reactions in the presence of an animal when they are at their weakest.

Evo
Mentor
It's not a hospital, it's an old folk's home. And they're not sick, they're old. If they were ill, they would be moved either into a hospital or a part of the facility for sick patients, if they even have such a wing. This ward was for people suffering varying types of dementia.

My grandmother died in a nursing home...from old age.

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
I'm surprised this is allowed at all.
And here I thought you liked killer cats!?! :confused::biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not a hospital, it's an old folk's home. And they're not sick, they're old. If they were ill, they would be moved either into a hospital or a part of the facility for sick patients, if they even have such a wing. This ward was for people suffering varying types of dementia.

My grandmother died in a nursing home...from old age.
A nursing home has to meet the same sanitation standards as a hospital. It's meant for ill people who need more care than their families can provide. Obviously, if they are about to die, they are sick, and probably not moved to a hospital because they have a request to be allowed to die without intervention.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And here I thought you liked killer cats!?! :confused::biggrin:
:rofl: Didn't say I don't like the cat. :biggrin: I'm training Ember to be an attack cat too, but so far, she has only learned to attack me. :uhh: Just surprised they are allowing it to just roam the floors, and not at least be limited to staff-only areas, or to some common rooms where the residents have agreed to allow it.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An offering from the cheez peoples:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/iz-sykik-ur-nxt.jpg [Broken]

I smell a spin-off cable show in the works: "Dead Like Me-ow" with a kitty reaper protagonist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
Maybe Oscar can team with the chihuahua. Zoey can lure victims over to be bitten by snakes and Oscar can determine who is going to die.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Dead Like Me-ow" with a kitty reaper protagonist.
Shouldn't that be dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead like me-ow? :biggrin:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Shouldn't that be dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead like me-ow? :biggrin:
:rofl: (that took me a minute!)
I am guessing SNL will have some fun with this theme.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
An offering from the cheez peoples:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/iz-sykik-ur-nxt.jpg [Broken]

I smell a spin-off cable show in the works: "Dead Like Me-ow" with a kitty reaper protagonist.
Now I now have an image of 4 cats sitting in a German diner passing around post-its!

Last edited by a moderator: