Tragic: Colombian Man Accidentally Kills Nephew Trying to Cure Hiccups

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, a man in Colombia pointed a gun at his nephew to scare him out of hiccups, but accidentally killed him. He then ran away and shot himself in the head. The incident occurred after the two men had been drinking. The conversation shows mixed reactions, with some calling the uncle stupid and a moron, while others find the situation darkly humorous.
JamesU
Gold Member
http://www.nbc30.com/news/6426207/detail.html
A Colombian man who tried to startle his nephew from a bout of the hiccups by pointing a gun at him accidentally pulled the trigger and killed him.

Police in the northern city of Barranquilla said the distraught uncle then ran out of the house and down the street a few yards before stopping and shooting himself. He died from a gunshot wound in the head.

According to police, the incident occurred Sunday night after the two men had been drinking.

sad...but it's hard to feel bad for someone so stupid (the uncle):rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, what an asstard. Who the hell points a loaded gun at a childs face to scare them? What a moron! I don't even point an unloaded gun in someones direction!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Wow, what an asstard. Who the hell points a loaded gun at a childs face to scare them? What a moron! I don't even point an unloaded gun in someones direction!

And that's why i don't hang out with people who drink.

cyrusabdollahi said:

I don't think he pulled on a child nephew. It says the two men had been drinking, but refers only to the nephew and the uncle. Still, yeesh.

I know that it's not right but I laughed, ya, I laughed...
Oops they say "drinking is bad", it is bad...

1. What happened in the tragic incident involving a Colombian man and his nephew?

In April 2021, a man in Colombia accidentally killed his 12-year-old nephew while attempting to cure his hiccups by scaring him with a loaded gun. The man was reportedly joking around with the gun when it went off, fatally shooting his nephew in the head.

2. How common are accidents like this involving guns?

Unfortunately, accidents involving guns are not uncommon. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were over 4,000 unintentional firearm deaths in the United States in 2019. While not all of these incidents involve hiccups, it is a reminder of the dangers of mishandling firearms.

3. Were there any charges brought against the man in this incident?

According to reports, the man was arrested and charged with homicide by negligence. In Colombia, this is a charge for unintentional killings due to carelessness or recklessness. The man could face up to eight years in prison if convicted.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea that scaring someone can cure hiccups?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that scaring someone can cure hiccups. In fact, most medical professionals agree that holding your breath, drinking water, or eating a spoonful of sugar are more effective ways to get rid of hiccups.

5. What can we learn from this tragic incident?

This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of gun safety and responsible gun ownership. It is also a reminder that dangerous and outdated methods for curing hiccups should not be taken lightly. It is always important to seek medical advice for persistent hiccups rather than resorting to potentially harmful methods.

Back