Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Death of Bryce DeWitt

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bryce Seligman DeWitt, Jane and Roland Blumberg Professor in Physics,
    Emeritus, at the University of Texas of Austin, died of pancreatic cancer
    on September 23, 2004. He was 81.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A great loss. The DeWitt equation remains the gold standard in efforts to quantize GR.

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

You may know this story and where to find it on the web. I dont have a link at the moment:

the Wheeler-DeWitt equation (the "quantum Einstein equation" to which I think you are referring) was invented at the Raleigh-Durham airport in North Carolina, where John Wheeler had to spend some time waiting between planes.

when Wheeler discovered he was going to have a long wait he telephoned Bryce DeWitt, a friend at a nearby university, who offered to come out to the airport, keep him company and work on an idea. So the two of them got together at the airport and made up a quantized version of the Einstein equation. I think I read that Wheeler considered it to be really the work of DeWitt (he downplayed his own role) but all the same people usually call it DeWitt-Wheeler, after both of them. I have a notion that would have been in the Sixties sometime

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?