Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Death Penalty for cut and dried cases?

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For some crimes, it seems the death penalty is not punishment enough. I am for the death penalty in cases, such as this, where there is no question of guilt. But I also agree that in these cases, the death penalty should be carried out immediately after sentencing

Would you agree or disagree with the death penalty in a case such as this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100817/ap_on_re_us/us_gang_killings_execution;_ylt=AqkSw9xU8DLA.OFXZ6sdf3VH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTNmODE1bzU4BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODE3L3VzX2dhbmdfa2lsbGluZ3NfZXhlY3V0aW9uBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzNyZHRyaXB0b3RleA-- [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's never really "no question".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  4. Aug 17, 2010 #3

Evo

Do you think there is a question as to guilt in this case? If yes, what is the doubt?

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I edited out part of my previous answer (in order to avoid getting drawn into the larger discussion) - but not fast enough. I should have taken back my entire answer, as I do not think I will be making the time to read the details of the particular case.

In general, I hold that one can only absolutely prove mathematical conjectures. When it comes to proving some aspect of physical reality, you can supply more and more evidence to support it, but that's the best you can do.

6. Aug 17, 2010 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Czolgosz, Ruby, Nidal? No questions.

7. Aug 17, 2010 #6
    I agree totally. I think one of the reasons the death penalty is not as effective these days is because it can take a decade for it to be carried out. Execution should be a deterent for others as well as a punishment. But if it isn't swift, then the deterent aspect is lost.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 17, 2010 #7
    People who commit crimes have at least one of two beliefs that people who do not commit crimes don't have. They are:

1. They won't get caught.
    2. They are justified in committing the crime.

If they hold the first belief, then it doesn't matter what the punishment is, it is ineffective in deterring the crime.

Many people who hold the second belief aren't concerned whether they'll be caught or not. People in this category may include the mentally ill or those involved in civil disobedience.

I suspect that many criminals hold both beliefs, justifying in their own minds their reasons for committing the crime. Perhaps what is hardest to understand for those who don't commit crimes is that the deterrents which seem logical and effective to them are not so for the criminal.

9. Aug 17, 2010 #8

jgens

Gold Member

Yes. I disagree with the death penalty period, but that's just a particular moral value of mine.

10. Aug 17, 2010 #9
    Death penalty if there's no doubt they did it and the crime is bad enough. The crime doesn't even have to be murder for the death penalty to be warranted.
    If it's a crime that's bad, but not death penalty worthy, then they should be sent to a deserted island and never allowed to return.
    The best way is to find the psychopaths early, when they're still children, and develop medicine to treat their illness.
    Some may not be psychopaths, but if you're eviscerating people, you're a psychopath.

11. Aug 17, 2010 #10

Evo

For those that are against the death penalty, a question. Do you believe that the sentence for someone that tortures and kills for entertainment should be the same as for a thief that injured no one?

Should all crimes have the same punishment?

12. Aug 17, 2010 #11
    I am a supporter of death penalty. Yes, I think the perpetrators should be executed swiftly, so the state doesn't lose any money on them.

13. Aug 17, 2010 #12
    Perhaps that someone who tortured and killed for entertainment might be tortured and killed as punishment?

Is this not a way of justifying in our own minds what would be a crime in other circumstances.

If punishment is ineffective against criminals as a deterrent, thus the crime, then shouldn't the intent of the law be to either rehabilitate the criminal or isolate the criminal from society as a preventive measure instead of a punitive one?

14. Aug 17, 2010 #13
    Hang, drawn and quartered in a public square ? :devil:

lethal injection is cheaper :P

15. Aug 17, 2010 #14
    Firing squad is cheaper still.

16. Aug 17, 2010 #15

jgens

Gold Member

Certainly not. A thief that injures no one will only serve a few years in jail at most (typically) while a murderer often serves life in prison. Personally, I believe that this is how things should be.

17. Aug 17, 2010 #16
    Blood for blood, this is how things should be :P Why waste the state money to support the life of a criminal in prison ? THe millions spent during a lifetime for a murderer can be used in health system to save same valuable lifes :P

18. Aug 17, 2010 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

19. Aug 17, 2010 #18

Evo

Which brings up an interesting question. Is there less serious crime in countries that have severe punishments for the crime?

I don't mean crazy punishment that does not match the crime, like the recent taliban sanctioned stoning to death of an adulterous couple, without legal process and carried out by a group of crazed villagers.

I believe that extreme care should be taken to prevent the innocent from being sentenced. But does that then mean that all crimes are punished equally, with the exception of duration of time served?

20. Aug 17, 2010 #19

jgens

Gold Member

In my opinion, to deny someone the right to appeal would be a violation of due process. These appeals are quite costly to the state and thus millions aren't actually saved by executing criminals. Moreover, hasty executions would only increase the likelihood that an innocent person will be executed.

21. Aug 17, 2010 #20

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How is "cut and dried" defined?

22. Aug 17, 2010 #21
  23. Aug 17, 2010 #22

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're mixing two issues.

Should the penalty for someone who tortures people for fun be the same as the penalty for someone who gets in a fight, wins, and continues to toss in some extra blows and kicks even after his opponent has given up and is no longer fighting?

Should the penalty for someone who tortures and kills for fun be the same as the penalty for shooting someone before stealing their wallet and their car?

Even in wars, where behavior normally considered abhorrent (killing) is not only considered acceptable, but desirable, there are limits to acceptable behavior. Torture is a crime even in wars. Not only ending someone's life, but making their last few minutes of life full of extreme pain and terror deserves extra punishment.

I think the death penalty might be used too often by some states, but it's still a fitting punishment for particularly sick crimes.

24. Aug 17, 2010 #23

Evo

On top of evidence, the criminal admits to the crime and is found to be of sound mind. If anything is in question, then it's not cut and dried. This means there would be very few affected by such changes to the death penalty, but this would be one case where nothing is being questioned.

25. Aug 17, 2010 #24
    What is the purpose of the death penalty?

26. Aug 17, 2010 #25
    punishment, not deterrence.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook