Death Penalty

• News
  • Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date

How do you feel about the death penalty

• Support it - we have this penalty for a reason; its the only way to really punish people

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Against it- it doesn't make sense to have this kind of punishment

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Indifferent- I don't really care either way

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Again, whats the difference between sending a man to live in prison vs killing him? He loses his life in any case. Again ill turn to my kidnapping comparison as no one can seem to post a rebuttle towards it.
Being either dead or alive are on a pretty different planes of existence. I'd say for the person being at the heart of the matter the difference is quite evident .... this simply illustrates how you define whether someone is worth something or isn't ... doesn't fly with all.

Evo said:
People can be wrongly convicted. I would say I would only feel comfortable with the death penalty if the person confessed
Even then, there have been lots of people who have been made to confess falsely...

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Again, whats the difference between sending a man to live in prison vs killing him? He loses his life in any case. Again ill turn to my kidnapping comparison as no one can seem to post a rebuttle towards it.
This is really quite simple Pengwuino.

Sentencing someone to death is irreversible. If they get pardoned, they're still dead.

Locking someone away is reversible, if they get pardoned, you just unlock them and let them go.

originally posted by Pengwuino

"It costs $40,000 per inmate per year and about $2 million to execute someone"

2 mil to execute the inmate???? What, u shoot the guy with silver bullets or wat???

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
kaos said:
originally posted by Pengwuino

"It costs $40,000 per inmate per year and about $2 million to execute someone"

2 mil to execute the inmate???? What, u shoot the guy with silver bullets or wat???
Capital offense cases have a lot higher legal costs - they're more complicated, the trials have both a guilt phase and a sentencing phase, plus there's usually a number of appeals that will be filed for each case. The process also takes a long time. A person will spend at least a decade on death row before being executed. Currently, the number of executions is less than the number of death sentences, so the average lifetime of inmates on death row just gets longer.

I wouldn't count on any number on costs being very accurate. The costs given for imprisoning someone for life is given as about $25,000 per year to $45,000 per year (it's generally more expensive in the Northeast than in the South or West). The cost for executing someone is given as being anywhere from $1 million to $3 million.

Part of that is probably artificially driven. Criminals sentenced to life without parole aren't as likely to find a sympathetic group to help them with their appeals. If raising the cost of the death penalty by making sure those on death row have completely exhausted their appeals process before allowing the execution to take place is one of the goals of groups opposed to the death penalty, I'd say it's an effective strategy. You don't just have two groups - one saying death is the only punishment and one saying the death penalty is immoral. There's a slew of folks who might agree with the death penalty in principal, but usually aren't enthusiastic enough about it to want to pay extra for it.

To a large number of folks, it really is the tendency for someone like a convicted sex offender being released to commit an even more serious version of their previous crimes that fuels their worry about how ironclad a life sentence without parole really is. (I realize none of Couey's previous crimes warranted a life sentence, nor did they really indicate that he'd commit the crime he'll probably be charged with tomorrow, but you're talking about impressions, not logic). I'm sure the Jessica Lunsford case will send pro-death penalty opinions spiking for awhile.

Is it true that after 3 convictions one gets sentenced to liffe imprisonment???

Yes, it is. I think it goes something like the first crime is a major offense then the other two after that are misdemeanors and that gets you sentenced to life imprisonment.