Death Penalty

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
I also think deterrence is a good way to prevent rational crimes. However, as far as I know, there is a continuing discussion between those advocating a rational choice theory of justice and those advocating a more diverse approach that takes into account deprivation, trust towards the justice system, etc. They argue that irrational crimes (like family violence) isn't planned, so it can't be effected by the deterrence effect and it must be prevented in other ways. The truth probably lies somewhere in between all the schools of thought.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
It's not just deterrence, either. Part of the point of locking people away is to keep them from committing any further crimes, at least against non-inmates.

loseyourname said:
It's not just deterrence, either. Part of the point of locking people away is to keep them from committing any further crimes, at least against non-inmates.
Exactly, that is one reason I support the death penalty. If you are a pshyotic murderer that planned and successfully killed someone, then there is no reason to waste tax dollars on making sure you dont kill in-mates. I would rather my tax dollars go to my child's education rather then keeping murderers alive!

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pengwuino said:
Hmm... guess i didn't understand the math behind our criminal justice system....
I am not saying that the current situation resembles the idealized example that I posted. If the system had been planned for deterrence and worked perfectly, all prisons would have been empty. If the system had been planned for revenge and victims were strictly rational, all prisons would still be empty. Since prisons are far from being empty, the system must be far from perfect and/or victims far from rational.