1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Death ray new approach

1. Dec 28, 2014 #1
    When people attempt to build one, they usually put objects near its focal point in front of the mirror but i wonder, has anybody tried "collecting" the light and aligning the beams in some way to be used as one? I know that the light is coming under different angles but is it possible to align at least a portion of the light reflected from the mirror via a system of smaller mirrors? Do you know about a blog or someone who has tried something similar or is it practically impossible?

Sorry for my childish idea, i already forgot high school optics, here is the doodle:
    2cqdwnt.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as a death ray so we can't give you any answer based om the laws of physics.

If you want to start a thread about a specific question in optics, or a discussion of the physics of beams of radiation of various types, that's OK in the appropriate subforum, but this thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook