Debate Forum Poll: What's Your Question of the Day?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of hosting formal debates on a forum. Some members suggest creating a new forum specifically for debates, but others argue that there are already enough forums in place. It is suggested that debates can be held within existing forums and the moderator of the forum can help with the organization. The conversation also touches on the role of the moderator and the rules and procedures that would be followed in a formal debate setting. Ultimately, there is no consensus on whether or not a separate forum for debates should be created.

Should PF have an official debate forum?

• Total voters
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Here's my question of the day...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but I wouldn't have enough time for research.

edit... I should probably read the question :smile:

Every time someone suggests a new forum, Greg & co. have said that they would consider it if the need or enough interest had already been demonstrated. So just try having one formal debate, and see how it goes. If people are interested, they will start more debates and a need for a new forum may develop.

The idea was to host a few debates. I don't believe there would be enough time to have a separate forum devoted to it.

Have you seen the main page lately? I think there are quite enough forums in place as is. I like honestrosewater's idea. You can just set one up where ever is appropriate and make plans with the moderator of the particular forum. Maybe even post about it here to "advertise".

What function does the moderator perform? To what rules are the debators bound?

zoobyshoe said:
What function does the moderator perform? To what rules are the debators bound?
The moderator mostly moderates. :biggrin:

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=85871 rules and procedures from a forum that has formal debates.
http://cas.bethel.edu/dept/comm/npda/npdarules.html NPDA Rules of Debating

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
The moderator mostly moderates. :biggrin:
But how moderately?

zoobyshoe said:
But how moderately?

very moderately

Pengwuino said:
very moderately
I wouldn't find "very moderate" moderation to be moderate enough moderation in a moderator. I'm going to have to vote "no".

1. What is the purpose of the "Debate Forum Poll: What's Your Question of the Day?"

The purpose of the "Debate Forum Poll: What's Your Question of the Day?" is to encourage critical thinking and discussion on a variety of topics. It allows individuals to share their opinions and engage in respectful debates with others.

2. How is the question of the day chosen?

The question of the day is chosen by the moderators of the debate forum based on current events, popular topics, and suggestions from forum members. The goal is to select thought-provoking questions that will spark interesting discussions.

3. Can anyone participate in the debate forum poll?

Yes, anyone with an account on the debate forum can participate in the poll. We welcome diverse perspectives and encourage respectful communication between members.

4. How are the results of the poll used?

The results of the poll are used to gauge the opinions and thoughts of the forum members on the chosen topic. This can provide insight into the views of the community and may spark further discussions or debates.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the debate forum poll?

Yes, we have guidelines for respectful communication and debate on the forum. We ask that all members adhere to these guidelines and engage in civil discussions with others. Any violation of the guidelines may result in removal from the forum.