Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debay radius and the existence of metals

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Our lecture on the Physics of Solid State raised a question. Professor postulated that the condition of the existence of metals is "Debay radius<Bohr radius", but the explanation was quite unclear. Could someone help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
  4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You did not give enough information here, so I will make a series of assumption of what I THINK you're asking:

1. Debay = Debye.

2. Debye radius = Debye length

The definition of Debye length is the length in which mobile charge carriers screen out the external electric field. This applies especially in a plasma.

3. Your prof. is trying to illustrate the fact that in a Fermi gas in a typical metal, if the Debye length is shorter than the Bohr radius, it means that the potential from the ion core is being screened out by the rest of the charge carriers in the solid. Thus the valence electron (or electrons) will not be attracted (on average) to its parent ion core and able to be "free" and join the conduction band.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?