What's the secret to making your debit card work every time?

• Thread starter Requiem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, folding a piece of paper or thin plastic bag over a debit card can help to read a stubborn card. This may be due to the paper positioning the magnetic strip at a better distance for reading or creating a capacitive effect. Some believe it is because the magnetic strip on the card is weak. However, there are also theories about the electromagnetic properties of the card and the possibility of rubbing the strip to improve its function. A related concept is the idea of a credit card with 5 gigs of hard disk space.
Requiem
[SOLVED] Debit Cards

Riddle me this:
Why does folding a piece of paper (or thin plastic bag) over a debit card allow a stubborn card to be read? A lot of stores seem to have trouble with my card (although it works fine in ATMs and vending machines), but when they fold a receipt or piece of plastic over it before swiping, it works fine. What is it that makes that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magic, obviously!

Haven't you heard? Plastic is better than cash at everything.

I haven't heard that one before.
I'd guess that the paper is either positioning the magnetic tape at a better distance for reading or doing some type of capacitive effect, but I'm not sure why the latter would improve performance.

I've seen it work but don't know why either...

I think department store checkout people use this trick quite often but don't know why either. I've heard the magnetic strip on the card is weak but even if that is true I cannot figure this one out. While searching for answers I found an interesting link speaking of something that I hadn't heard of before; 5 Gigs of hard disk space on a credit card;

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,108816,tk,dn011603X,00.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
It has something to do with the electromagneticity (is that even a word?!). Cards also can work if you rub the strip with your shirt or sweater. Its like rubbing a balloon in your hair, and your hair stands up.

1. Why does my debit card sometimes get declined?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to insufficient funds in your account, an expired card, or incorrect card information. It could also be a result of suspicious activity and your bank may have placed a temporary hold on your card for security reasons.

2. How can I ensure my debit card works every time?

Make sure to keep track of your account balance and always have enough funds to cover your purchases. Keep your card information up to date and verify that your card has not expired. If you are traveling, notify your bank beforehand to avoid any issues with using your card in a different location. Lastly, be cautious of potential fraudulent activity and report any suspicious transactions to your bank immediately.

3. Can a damaged debit card affect its functionality?

Yes, a damaged card can cause issues with its functionality. If your card is cracked, bent, or has a damaged magnetic strip, it may not be read properly by card readers. It is always best to request a new card from your bank if you notice any damage to your current one.

4. Are there any specific places where my debit card might not work?

Most debit cards work internationally and at most merchants, but there are some exceptions. Some merchants may only accept certain types of cards, so it is always best to check with the specific merchant beforehand if you are unsure. Additionally, some countries may have restrictions or security measures in place that could affect the use of your card.

5. What should I do if my debit card consistently fails to work?

If your card continues to have issues, it may be a good idea to contact your bank to check for any potential issues with your account or card. They may also be able to provide you with a new card if necessary. Additionally, you can try using your card at different merchants or ATMs to see if the issue is specific to a certain location.