Fixing Debugger Malfunction on 8088 Microprocessors

• Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble getting their debugger to work properly. They have downloaded and extracted an assembler and debugger in the same folder, but the debugger is not showing corresponding registry value changes for actual code. They mention that the nasm assembler works fine and question whether debuggers are only supposed to work for 8088 microprocessors. They clarify that it should be "register" instead of "registry" and provide more details about their target architecture and the specific debugger they are using. They also mention that the debugger is working fine on an 8088 processor but not on their current processor. They are looking for recommendations for a different debugger for assembly language and provide a link to where they downloaded their current tools from.
pairofstrings
Debugger don't work

I downloaded and extracted assembler and debugger in the same folder. But debugger is not showing corresponding registry value changes for actual code.
nasm assembler works fine.
are debuggers only suppose to work for 8088 microprocessors?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
"Registry" or "register"?

Can you be more specific? What target architecture are you assembling and debugging? I assume the machine you're using is x86 or x86-64? Which "debugger" are you using? "Debugger" could mean a number of things but I would normally expect a debugger to only run programs written for the same target architecture the debugger itself as an executable is written for.

It's register. I am using T2310 processor 32 bit.
In the code if I move the cursor to instruction
mov ax, 10 then the debugger is suppose to show that the value 10 is moved to register ax.
when I move the cursor to add ax, bx debugger is suppose to show corresponding changes but it's not showing those changes. The register values remain zeros no matter where I move the cursor.
I am using advanced full screen debugger v 2.0 on vista. I don't know if I am using 8086 or 8088 processor but the debugger is working fine on 8088 processor. I think I have to use a different debugger. What do you think? Where to find another debugger for assembly language? I am using Nasm.
I downloaded the tools from
http://vustudents.ning.com/page/softwares-1?xg_source=activity"

Last edited by a moderator:

What causes a debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors?

A debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors can be caused by a number of factors, including hardware failure, faulty software, or incorrect configurations.

How can I troubleshoot a debugger malfunction on my 8088 microprocessor?

To troubleshoot a debugger malfunction, you can try restarting the system, checking for any loose connections, updating the software, or running a diagnostic test.

Can a debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors be fixed?

Yes, a debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying cause of the malfunction. This may involve replacing hardware, updating software, or making configuration changes.

Is it possible to prevent debugger malfunctions on 8088 microprocessors?

While it is not always possible to prevent debugger malfunctions, you can reduce the chances of it occurring by regularly maintaining your system, using reliable software, and following proper configuration guidelines.

What are some common symptoms of a debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors?

Some common symptoms of a debugger malfunction on 8088 microprocessors include system crashes, error messages, failure to execute commands, and abnormal behavior of the debugger tool.