Unveiling the Truth: Debunking the Solid State Theory of the Universe

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the Universe starting out as a packed and massive state, with everything gradually shrinking over billions of years. This could explain the observed expansion of the Universe and the apparent movement of galaxies away from each other. The conversation also references the solid state theory of the Universe, which has been disproven, and mentions a previous discussion on this topic.
tribdog
I was kicking back in bed, reading Alpha & Omega by Charles Seife and I got an idea. He was talking about how people used to believe in the solid state theory of the Universe. I'm a Big Bang believer myself I just want to know how we don't know the following isn't true.
What if the Universe started out just as big as it is now, but everything in it was bigger. everything was so big that the Universe was packed. Electrons the size of elephants- only bigger. Then everything started shrinking, giving off some sort of radiation(that we mistake as the Cosmic background radiation) and getting smaller. As everything shrunk over billions of years the gaps between galaxies grew bigger and bigger. It would appear that everything around us was flying away. We wouldn't notice the shrinking because our rulers would be shrinking along with us. We still have gravity, so everything holds together. The only thing actually getting bigger would be the spaces inbetween. The only reason things further away seem to be moving faster away from us could be because of the lack of gravity from us. The closer galaxies feel the pull from our galaxy, so while they are shrinking as well and appear to be moving away from us, they appear to not be moving away as fast. It's one explination why everything appears to be moving away from everything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
He was talking about how people used to believe in the solid state theory of the Universe.

Did you mean to write steady state?

I think there is at least one thread already at this Forum on the same idea.

First of all, it's great that you're exploring different theories and ideas about the universe. It's important to question and challenge our understanding of the world around us. However, the solid state theory of the universe has been debunked by overwhelming evidence and is no longer considered a valid explanation for the origins of the universe.

The Big Bang theory, on the other hand, is supported by a vast amount of evidence from various fields of science such as cosmology, astronomy, and physics. It explains the expansion of the universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is not just a mistaken interpretation of shrinking objects.

Additionally, the idea that everything in the universe was once much larger and has been shrinking over time is not supported by any evidence. In fact, the opposite is true - the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang.

The observation of the redshift of galaxies, which is what you are referring to when you say everything appears to be moving away from everything else, is a result of the expansion of the universe. It is not due to the lack of gravity from us, but rather the expansion of space itself.

Furthermore, the shrinking of objects and distances would not explain the formation of stars, galaxies, and other structures in the universe. The laws of physics that govern the universe do not allow for such a scenario.

In conclusion, while it's interesting to explore alternative ideas, the Big Bang theory remains the most widely accepted and supported explanation for the origins of the universe. It is constantly being tested and refined by scientists, and has stood the test of time. So let's continue to embrace and learn from the incredible discoveries and advancements made through the Big Bang theory.

1. What does it mean to "debunk" something?

Debunking refers to the process of exposing a false belief, myth, or misconception and providing evidence to prove it wrong.

2. Why do we need things to be debunked?

Debunking helps to promote critical thinking and prevent the spread of misinformation. It allows us to make informed decisions based on evidence rather than false information.

3. How do scientists go about debunking something?

Scientists use the scientific method to debunk something. This involves formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments or studies to test the hypothesis, and analyzing the results to come to a conclusion based on evidence.

4. Can anything be debunked?

Yes, anything can be debunked as long as there is evidence to support the debunking. However, some beliefs or myths may be deeply ingrained in society and may be harder to debunk.

5. How can I verify if something has been successfully debunked?

You can verify if something has been successfully debunked by looking at the evidence provided by scientists and experts in the field. It is important to fact-check and use reliable sources to determine the validity of the debunking.