Debunked : You guys will love this

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the article discusses how 295 extraordinary events happen everyday in America, and how this does not necessarily mean that supernatural events are occurring. It also discusses how many events are considered coincidences due to our lack of familiarity with probability and statistics.
Imparcticle
Debunked! : You guys will love this!

I just read this in this month's SCIAM magazine:

Scientific American: August 2004

Miracle on Probability Street
The Law of Large Numbers guarantees that one-in-a-million miracles happen 295 times a day in America By Michael Shermer

Because I am often introduced as a “professional skeptic”, people feel compelled to challenge me with stories about highly improbable events. The implication is that if I cannot offer a satisfactory natural explanation for that particular even, the general principle of supernaturalism is preserved. A common story is the one about having a dream or thought about the death of a friend or relative and then receiving a phone call five minutes later about the unexpected death of that very person.

I cannot always explain such specific incidents, but a principle of probability called the Law of Large Numbers shows that an event with a low probability of occurrence in a small number of trials has a high probability of occurrence in a large number of trials. Events with million-to-one odds happen 295 times a day in America.

Nice. :smile:

Edit:by Ivan: No, really not.

Only excerpts from copyright protected materials are allowed. I have edited this post accordingly. Please purchase the complete story

http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse.cfm?sequencenameCHAR=item2&methodnameCHAR=resource_getitembrowse&interfacenameCHAR=browse.cfm&ISSUEID_CHAR=A4AD4ADB-2B35-221B-699D1485A73879AA&ARTICLEID_CHAR=A4BC7453-2B35-221B-618C22CBB3FA6ED5&sc=I100322

or purchase the magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Littlewood was at Cambridge? I thought he was at Oxford! Hardy certainly was, and I had the impression of them as day-to-day colleagues.

(Added in edit). Google quickly shows me that not only was he the Rouse Ball professor of mathematics at Cambridge, but he was the son of a Cambridge don and spent his life there, apart from World War I. So much for impressions!

Last edited:
Oh, thanks Ivan. I didn't know. :frown:

Imparcticle said:
Oh, thanks Ivan. I didn't know. :frown:

Oh wow. :surprise: Yes this is a very serious violation. No problem but please limit any quotes to a paragraph or two. Never include the majority of the article.

Really sorry!

since when was self adjoint a super-mentor? was that your birthday present??

Anyway, back to the article...

First, you have to believe in miracles... which usually means having a religious belief or outlook on life. And what is their definition of a miracle? It could just be 295 extraordinary events every day. This seems a little silly to me..

Imparcticle said:
Really sorry!

Really, its okay. It was an honest mistake. :smile:

Ignore any warnings that you may have recieved. I canceled that. :wink:

thank you, thank you, thank you! I will never post anything that's not mine again.

First, you have to believe in miracles... which usually means having a religious belief or outlook on life. And what is their definition of a miracle? It could just be 295 extraordinary events every day. This seems a little silly to me..

Actually, the article said 295 times everyday in America, not neccesarily per person. The 295 number is derived from an assumption where there are 295 million Americans. Each American thinks of someone they know in each 5 minute interval, thus leading to the fact(based on calculations and laws assumed) that 295 miracles happen everyday. This agrees with another fact presented: miracles occur once a month, on average, for each American. The article also says (in my own words) that this happens to 77 people a day.

In addition, whether or not you believe in miracles is not a factor. If it were, only some people would be subject to such improbable events, which become probable as I explained.

Imparcticle said:
thank you, thank you, thank you! I will never post anything that's not mine again.

Really I'm sorry about that. As soon as you apologized I realized that you weren't who I thought you were. I shouldn't have issued a formal warning so quickly. :smile:

Debunked! ESP, Telekinesis and other Pseudoscience

The is actually an interesting book that backs up the sceptic view about many phenomena such as dowsing, coincidences ...

For instance it explains how many ordinary occurrences are generally regarded extraordinary (or coincidences) due to our unfamiliarity with probability and statistics.

The book is: Debunked!: ESP, Telekinesis and other Pseudoscience
George Charpak and Henri Broch
2004 Johns Hopkins University Press

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out.

1. What is "Debunked"?

"Debunked" refers to the process of disproving or exposing false information or theories. It often involves using evidence and scientific reasoning to refute claims that are not supported by facts.

2. Who is involved in the process of debunking?

Debunking can be done by anyone, but it is typically carried out by scientists, researchers, and experts in a particular field. They use their knowledge and expertise to critically evaluate claims and determine their validity.

3. Why is debunking important?

Debunking helps to promote accurate information and prevent the spread of misinformation. It also allows for a better understanding of the world around us by separating fact from fiction.

4. How can I tell if something has been debunked?

If something has been debunked, it means that evidence and scientific reasoning have been used to prove it false. You can often tell if something has been debunked by researching the claims and looking for reliable sources that support or refute it.

5. Is debunking always successful?

While debunking can be effective in dispelling false information, it may not always be successful in changing people's beliefs. Some individuals may continue to hold onto their beliefs even in the face of evidence, making debunking a challenging but important process.