Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debunking Product Claims

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    Awesome subforum. :!!)
    Is it new?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    yes we added it just a few days ago
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, at most a week old (I can't remember which day exactly it was begun). There are so many of those ads out for dubious products, and they were popular threads in S&D, so we decided it would be a good public service (mostly thank Ivan for the initiative that got it started).
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4
    Okay then, thank you Ivan and co.!
    I don't think I was ever in S&D proper before; it didn't occur to me that this sort of stuff (vs straight crackpottery) happened over there.
  6. Apr 29, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the big thumbs up mbrmbrg.

We invite PF members to join in and help to explain the science, or lack thereof, of product claims. Or, if you have a question about the efficacy of an advertised product, then post a link, cite the claim, and see what comes. There is a good chance that one of our members will be able to provide some insight.

Product Claims Forum
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  7. Apr 29, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should mention that we do not allow crackpottery in S&D. Specific claims may be cited, and many times we have people posting to ask questions about something unusual, but crackpot theories are never allowed. Our goal is to sort out the nonsense and to identify and survey the most credible information related to potential and genuine mysteries that may interest current and future scientists.

Here are a few my favorite topics that are discussed or linked in S&D.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. Apr 30, 2008 #7
    Wonderful. :grumpy:
    Ivan, I'm sorry for dissing your forum, but did you have to give me another forum to lose my life in??? :rolleyes: :smile:
  9. Apr 30, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, no problem. It can get a little wild at times, but the posting guidelines have evolved over the years and they are now very strict. Blatent nonsense is usually deleted or locked within minutes to hours.

We do our best! :approve:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  10. Apr 30, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

I don't know why I keep thinking mbrmbrg is Mr Big.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?