1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debye temperature for gold

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the Debye temperature for gold

2. Relevant equations
    $$Θ_D = \hbar \frac{v_s}{k_b} \sqrt[3]{6π^2 \frac{N}{V}}$$
    Speed of sound in gold: $$v_s=3240 m/s$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the equation for ΘD and for the concentration I used the value for atom density that I calculated for gold 5.9*10^28m^-3. I also checked this atom density for gold on the internet and I found the same value. However, I got that the Debye temperature for gold is 375.52 K and a tabular value for gold is 165 K.

Can someone please tell me where I made the mistake in my calculation and these formulas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We can't tell you where you made a mistake in your calculations unless you post them. :frown:

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3
    I posted all relevant values and constants. The calculation is very simple, I just typed all these constants in a calculator. I checked everything and I repeated this many times, but I got the same value. I thought that maybe I used the wrong formula or the wrong values for the speed of sound and N/V. Can someone please tell me if these parameters and formula are correct at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted