Debye temperature for Na

• Thread starter MMS
  • Start date
MMS

Homework Statement

Na has a bcc structure with molecular mass of 22.99 gr/mol, mass density of 0.971 gr/cm^3.
The average speed of sound in Na (at room temperature=300K) is 3200 m/s.
Calculate the Debye temperature for Na

Homework Equations

I worked out this equation to calculate the Debye temperature (If needed I can show how)
XzxlsHT.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all the numbers in the above equation with the correct units and I get that the Debye temperature is 280.3K. However, in literature I found that it is approximately 150K.
Is there something wrong with my calculations? Am I missing out on something here?

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Na has a bcc structure with molecular mass of 22.99 gr/mol, mass density of 0.971 gr/cm^3.
The average speed of sound in Na (at room temperature=300K) is 3200 m/s.
Calculate the Debye temperature for Na

Homework Equations

I worked out this equation to calculate the Debye temperature (If needed I can show how)
XzxlsHT.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all the numbers in the above equation with the correct units and I get that the Debye temperature is 280.3K. However, in literature I found that it is approximately 150K.
Is there something wrong with my calculations? Am I missing out on something here?

Thank you!
Please provide your calculations.

MMS
Please provide your calculations.
BnOvrQ7.png

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
MMS
Anyone?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Anyone?
Your calculations are arithmetically correct, as far as I can see.

It's not clear that NA ⋅ ρ / MW is an accurate substitute for the N / V which is used in other Debye Temperature derivations I have seen. Your expression doesn't seem to account for the fact that since sodium is bcc, there are two atoms per cell, rather than one. It makes a difference in calculating the edge length of the cell.

I think for calculating a reasonable approximation to the Debye Temp., this is the issue which must be resolved. In some articles I have seen, the authors try to use the properties of the material measured close to the Debye Temp., like the speed of sound and the density, to come up with a more accurate calculation.