1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay and parity

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    Hello all ! I was trying to solve the following problem : you have a particle with spin J=1 and unknown parity that decays into 2 indentical particals of spin = 1/2

We want to know how much the angular momentum of the final state is and also the final total spin.

Now, my reasonment was the following.

Stot_final = either 0 or 1 since it is the vector sum of the spin of both identical final particles.

Knowing that |L-S|<=J<= L+S we have to cases but I assumed that J=1 is conserved in the decay but it wasn't told so ...

we would have

for S=0 => L= 1
    for S=1 => L= (0,1,2)

knowing that the final particles are indentical they must have a antisymmetric wave function due to Fermi Dirac...and so L must be odd . => L=1

but we still have to cases (S,L)= (0,1) or (1,1) if J=1 was to be conserved I'd say th only possible is (0,1) but the solutions say the only possibile solution knowing that J=1 is (1,1) ..

Conclusion, I don't know where I'm mistaking !

Any help would be appreciated ! Maybe I shouldn't assume that J was conserved...

Thanks in advance !
    Erwin

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

J is conserved and equals 1.
    But,
    "knowing that the final particles are indentical they must have a antisymmetric wave function due to Fermi Dirac...and so L must be odd . => L=1"
    is wrong.
    The spinXorbital wave function must be antisymmetric.
    This means that S=0 goes with L=0 or 2, neither of which can give J=1.
    Therefor S=1, and L=1, with 1+1=1.

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    Hi and thanks a lot for the answer !

There is still something I don't get .. how do you get L=0 or L=2 with S=0 and more how do you get J=1 = L+S = 1+1 ?? if L=1 and S= 1 shouldn't you get in this case 0 or 2 . (L-S or L+S)?

Isn't this correct :

|L-S|<= 1<= L+S

if S= 0 then you have L=1
    if S=1 then you have L= 0,1,2 ?

I guess not since you just said so ...but why isn't that so , where is my mistake ?

Thanks in advance !
    Erwin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?