Calculating Decay Constant Without Initial Value

In summary: The half life is the time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay. So, if I have a substance with a half life of 78 hours, after 78 hours, only half of the radioactive material will be left.
Flavia
Radioactive sample activity is said decreases by factor 5 during 2-h interval. How to find the decay constant? If the given initial value is not given? I don't know how to calculate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Flavia! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Call the initial value "A", and write out an equation to show when it reaches A/5 …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Flavia! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Call the initial value "A", and write out an equation to show when it reaches A/5 …

what do you get? :smile:

It becomes A/5 = A exp -λ(2).. how can i get λ as the A is not given?

divide both sides by A ! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
divide both sides by A ! :smile:

tq!:smile:

Can i ask another question here? If it violate rules, I am sorry. If it given initial activity 10 mci, how to know the number of atom inside?

Flavia said:
If it given initial activity 10 mci, how to know the number of atom inside?

you mean mCi ?

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie
The curie (symbol Ci) is a non-SI unit of radioactivity, named after Marie and Pierre Curie. It is defined as
1 Ci = 3.7 × 1010 decays per second.​
Its continued use is discouraged.

Curies are occasionally used to express a quantity of radioactive material rather than a decay rate, such as when one refers to 1 Ci of cesium-137.

This may be interpreted as the number of atoms that would produce 1 Ci of radiation. The rules of radioactive decay may be used convert this to an actual number of atoms. They state that 1 Ci of radioactive atoms would follow the expression:
N (atoms) * λ (1/s) = 1 Ci = 3.7 × 1010 (Bq)​
and so,
N = 3.7 × 1010 / λ​
where λ is the decay constant in s-1.​

tiny-tim said:
you mean mCi ?

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie
The curie (symbol Ci) is a non-SI unit of radioactivity, named after Marie and Pierre Curie. It is defined as
1 Ci = 3.7 × 1010 decays per second.​
Its continued use is discouraged.

Curies are occasionally used to express a quantity of radioactive material rather than a decay rate, such as when one refers to 1 Ci of cesium-137.

This may be interpreted as the number of atoms that would produce 1 Ci of radiation. The rules of radioactive decay may be used convert this to an actual number of atoms. They state that 1 Ci of radioactive atoms would follow the expression:
N (atoms) * λ (1/s) = 1 Ci = 3.7 × 1010 (Bq)​
and so,
N = 3.7 × 1010 / λ​
where λ is the decay constant in s-1.​

Really helps. tq! another question

1)If given half life. how to get initial decay rate?

From half life, i can get the λ.
Ro = λNo. how to get No?

2)What is seven half life mean? Is it 7T1/2 = value?

Hi Flavia! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Flavia said:
2)What is seven half life mean? Is it 7T1/2 = value?

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, seven half-lives are seven times one half-life (7t1/2)

so the amount left will be 1/27

From half life, i can get the λ.
Ro = λNo. how to get No?

not really following you :confused:

the decay rate depends on the radioactive material, and how much of it there is at any time

Hi! i dint find the the X2 button just above the Reply box.

-the question is, the half life of Ga-67 is 78 hours. Calculate initial decay rate

Hi Flavia! :smile:

If you click "QUOTE" or "NEW REPLY" or "Go Advanced", you get to a page with buttons above the Reply box, and symbols to the right. :wink:
Flavia said:
-the question is, the half life of Ga-67 is 78 hours. Calculate initial decay rate

What is the complete question? :confused:

(in other words: what is the meaning of "initial"?)

1. How do you calculate decay constant without knowing the initial value?

To calculate decay constant without knowing the initial value, you can use the half-life formula: t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life and λ is the decay constant. Rearrange the formula to solve for λ, and then use the decay constant to calculate the remaining values.

2. Can decay constant be negative?

No, decay constant cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the rate at which a substance decays. A negative decay constant would imply that the substance is increasing in quantity over time, which goes against the principles of decay.

3. What units is decay constant measured in?

Decay constant is typically measured in units of inverse time, such as inverse seconds (s-1) or inverse years (yr-1). This is because it represents the rate of decay over a specific time period.

4. How does changing the initial value affect the decay constant?

The initial value does not affect the decay constant. The decay constant is a characteristic property of a substance, and it remains constant regardless of the initial value. However, the initial value can affect the half-life and the amount of substance remaining at a given time.

5. Can decay constant be used to predict the amount of substance remaining at a specific time?

Yes, decay constant can be used to predict the amount of substance remaining at a specific time. By rearranging the half-life formula to solve for the remaining amount of substance at a given time, you can use the decay constant to calculate the predicted value. However, this prediction is based on the assumption that the decay rate remains constant over time.