Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay D0-> K+ K-

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    Hey community!

Since a couple of hours I've been dealing with the question why the decay $$D^0 \rightarrow K^+ K^-$$ is suppressed.
    If I draw the Feynman diagram for the first order decay, everything seems pretty alright as the charm quark can couple with a strange quark. The resulting W+ can then produce an up and anti-strange quark which gives above K mesons.
    What piece am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

up and anti-strange are two different generations, there you get the Cabibbo suppression (compared to ##D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+##).

It is not a rare decay. It's just not as frequent as the decay to ##K^- \pi^+##.

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Aaah, somehow I thought the Cabibbo suppression just applies in case of a quark-quark decay. But it holds whenever any kind of quark coupling is involved (independent of the "direction" I go in the diagram), right? (Sorry in advance for these basic questions..)

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct, whenever you have a coupling of a W with quarks belonging to different generations, you get a suppression (an even larger suppression if the generations are 1,3 or 2,3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook