D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression - A Puzzling Question

• Thread starter milch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    decay
In summary, the decay of $$D^0 \rightarrow K^+ K^-$$ is suppressed due to the Cabibbo suppression, which occurs when a coupling between different generations of quarks is involved. This explains why this decay is not as frequent as the decay to $$K^- \pi^+$$.
milch
Hey community!

Since a couple of hours I've been dealing with the question why the decay $$D^0 \rightarrow K^+ K^-$$ is suppressed.
If I draw the Feynman diagram for the first order decay, everything seems pretty alright as the charm quark can couple with a strange quark. The resulting W+ can then produce an up and anti-strange quark which gives above K mesons.
What piece am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
up and anti-strange are two different generations, there you get the Cabibbo suppression (compared to ##D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+##).

It is not a rare decay. It's just not as frequent as the decay to ##K^- \pi^+##.

Aaah, somehow I thought the Cabibbo suppression just applies in case of a quark-quark decay. But it holds whenever any kind of quark coupling is involved (independent of the "direction" I go in the diagram), right? (Sorry in advance for these basic questions..)

Correct, whenever you have a coupling of a W with quarks belonging to different generations, you get a suppression (an even larger suppression if the generations are 1,3 or 2,3).

What is D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression?

D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression is a phenomenon observed in the decay of the D0 meson, where the decay into a pair of charged kaons (K+ K-) is suppressed compared to other possible decay modes.

Why is D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression considered a puzzling question?

D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression is considered puzzling because it goes against the predictions of the standard model of particle physics. According to the standard model, the decay into K+ K- should be allowed and have a similar probability to other decay modes.

What could be causing D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression?

There are several theories that attempt to explain D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression, including the possibility of new particles or interactions that are not accounted for in the standard model. Another theory suggests that there may be an asymmetry in the production of D0 mesons, leading to the observed suppression in decay.

How is D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression studied?

D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression is studied using high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists analyze the data collected from particle collisions to study the properties and behavior of D0 mesons and their decays.

What are the potential implications of understanding D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression?

Understanding D0-> K+ K- Decay Suppression could provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It could also potentially lead to the discovery of new particles and interactions beyond the standard model, revolutionizing our understanding of the universe.