Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay due to which force

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    Hey now!

I have just calculated the lifetime of a resonance state using its total width. I want to work out which force this decay is due to. How would one go about doing this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    To know the interaction responsible for a particular decay you have to know what the decay is, i.e. what particle(s) the particle you're looking decays into. One particle can decay in many different ways. However, since you use the word "resonance", this might be a hint that the decay is due to the strong interaction, since this is usually part of what one means by the word "resonance".

What is the specific particle and decay you're looking at?

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks fo the response Kloptok!

No such information is given. I am just told that the total width of delta 1232 resonance i 118 Mev.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Rsummary.brl?nodein=B033&inscript=Y&sub=Yr&return=BXXX010 [Broken]

The dominant decay is (uud) -> (udd) + (u anti-d)
    No quark flavour changes are involved, therefore it can occur via the strong interaction. The broad width of the resonance is another sign of this.

Another observed decay is delta1232 -> p gamma. As you can see from the photon, the electromagnetic interaction is involved.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 23, 2012 #5

naima

Gold Member

You can find ideas here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook