1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay of a roe meson

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    I just started a class in particle physics this semester, and I really need help on one of our first homework problems. We are supposed to show that while the following decays are allowed:

roe(+) --> pi(0)pi(+)
    roe(-) --> pi(0)pi(-)
    roe(0) --> pi(+)pi(-)

the following decay is not allowed:

roe(0) --> pi(0)pi(0)

I am pretty sure the reason is that it violates a conservation law, but I don't know which one. We have barely touched on what quantities are conserved in lecture. I can see that charge is conserved in all cases, so no problem there.

We are also told that the roe meson is a spin 1 particle, so I think that should play a role. However, the part of quantum mechanics that dealt with angular momentum and spin was a bit treacherous for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This all sounds pretty fishy to me.... Oh perhaps you mean [itex] \rho [/itex] that is rho!

You might benifit by reading This thread.

4. Jan 19, 2005 #3
    Fantastic! I am already familiar with LaTex.

5. Jan 19, 2005 #4
    For anyone reading this thread, that link was just about using LaTex for math symbols...I still REALLY need help with this problem!!!

:biggrin:

6. Jan 19, 2005 #5
    I'm not an expert in particle physics, but have you checked

1.) spin
    2.) parity

I think rho mesons have both their quark and antiquark aligned, whereas pions have them antiparallel so one rho can't make two pions.

7. Jan 19, 2005 #6
    From what I have deduced, I think the culprit is parity. Could you explain what you know about parity? I have always found it a mysterious concept.

8. Jan 19, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?