Calculating the Neutrino Spectrum for Cr Decay to V

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of Cr to V and the determination of the neutrino spectrum. The question mentions a K shell electron and the solution does not take into account the mass of a positron. The conversation also touches on the possibility of K shell electron capture and the role of X-rays in ionization.
vertices
One more question (I'm wary I'm totally spamming the forum!).. its in reference to the decay of Cr to V, see attached files.

The decay is clearly beta plus decay.

p->n+positron+antineutrino

The question asks to determine the neutrino spectrum. Now the energy of the neutrino is simply the mass difference between the {original state} and {the GS of the final state PLUS the rest mass energy of a positron}.

Why on Earth is the question talking about a K shell electron? I also attach the solution to the problem. It doesn't take into account mass of the positron when calculating the energy of the neutrino: Why?

Attachments

• Cr decay.jpg
    Cr decay.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 407
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's a homework problem, I'll only give you a hint.

vertices said:
It doesn't take into account mass of the positron when calculating the energy of the neutrino: Why?

Hint: What positron?

Second hint: reread some of the other threads you've started.

Vanadium 50 said:
Since it's a homework problem, I'll only give you a hint.
Hint: What positron?

Second hint: reread some of the other threads you've started.

well you said in the other thread that the positron is very short lived (I take it undergoes electron positron anhiliation?).

Therefore I would think this energy radiates away to the surroundings - ie. it is not captured by the neutrino...

I don't really get it to be honest:(

EDIT: ALSO according to the solutions (the second file), the K shell energy of the original particle has been subtracted from the difference in masses. Why is a K shell electron liberated in this decay... a positron should be produced, not an electron liberated.

Last edited:
Let me give you the hint again. What positron? Point to the positron in the diagram.

If you need another hint, look up the decay modes of Cr-51.

vertices said:
The decay is clearly beta plus decay.

No, it isn't. Look at the NNDC website if needed (the chart of nuclides).
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

aaah I see, its K shell capture.

So V captures a K shell electron. Another stupid question, why is it K shell capture? V already has a (two) K shell electron(s); do you not need an x ray photon to knock of one of these in the first place? It would seem a lot easier for the electron to tag onto on of the valence shells, no?

Last edited:
vertices said:
aaah I see, its K shell capture.

So V captures a K shell electron. Another stupid question, why is it K shell capture? V already has a (two) K shell electron(s); do you not need an x ray photon to knock of one of these in the first place? It would seem a lot easier for the electron to tag onto on of the valence shells, no?
Cr captures K-electron and a proton is transformed to a neutron (A remains unchanged, but Z decreases by 1).

All elements from He on have 2 K-electrons, and they are most tightly bound to the atom/nucleus. QM-wise, K electrons have a greater probability of interacting with the nucleus. An ionizing X-ray would be one that 'lifts' the electron up out of the potential well.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V?

The purpose of calculating the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V is to understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos, which are fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying the neutrino spectrum, scientists can gain insight into the structure of the atom and the interactions between particles.

2. How is the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V calculated?

The neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V is calculated using a combination of theoretical models and experimental data. The process involves determining the energy levels of the atom and the probabilities of different decay pathways. These factors are then used to calculate the distribution of neutrino energies produced in the decay process.

3. What is the significance of the neutrino spectrum in understanding nuclear decay?

The neutrino spectrum is important in understanding nuclear decay because it provides information about the energy and momentum of the particles involved. This can help scientists to better understand the underlying mechanisms of nuclear decay and to test predictions made by theoretical models.

4. How does the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V differ from other nuclear decay processes?

The neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V may differ from other nuclear decay processes due to the specific properties of the atom and the unique decay pathways involved. The energies and probabilities of different decay pathways can vary, leading to different distributions of neutrino energies in the spectrum.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V?

Studying the neutrino spectrum for Cr Decay to V can have several potential applications. It can provide insight into the properties of neutrinos, which are important in astrophysics and cosmology. It can also help to improve our understanding of nuclear processes and potentially lead to advancements in energy production and medical imaging techniques.