Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay Question

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I’m going to post this here even though this question straddles Chemistry and Physics. I think I know the answer but I’d like confirmation.

Let's say I am measuring a property P that is decaying exponentially, but I am measuring it using two different test methods. Let’s call them method A and method B.

The data from method A fit the curve:

P(t) = A0e-αt

The data from method B fit the curve:

P(t) = B0e-βt

In this case, I know the methods well enough that I know that A0 and B0 will be different numbers. But isn’t it true that α = β?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If you are measuring the same property, but getting different results, something is wrong. And if something is wrong, everything can go wrong (that is, if A0≠B0, I don't see why to expect α=β).

Is it just an experimental error, or is there more to the difference between both methods?

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

If α = β, but A0<B0, then the first curve is less then the second curve everywhere.
    In other words, they cannot fit the same data regardless of systematic or experimental errors.

Therefore, if A0≠B0 then that implies α≠β.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, mystery (sort of) solved.

Turns out there are two typos. One, the author accidentally used the same variable for the exponent. Two, in a graph showing results from both tests, there are supposed to be two sets of axes but only one got into the report.

I didn't notice the first typo but it was the graph that made my head spin. The units weren't right -- method A and method B give results in different units, so I was confused :uhh:!

Thanks, Borek and ILS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook