1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay rate of a scalar particle under scalar/pseudoscalar lagrangian

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I'm trying to solve problem 48.4 of Srednickis QFT-Book. It goes something like this:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a scalar field with mass M and a Dirac field with mass m (M>2m). The interaction part of the lagrangian is
    [tex]L_a = g \varphi \bar{\Psi}\Psi[/tex]
    [tex]L_b = g \varphi \bar{\Psi}i\gamma_5 \Psi[/tex].
    Now the decay rates [tex]\Gamma_{a/b}[/tex] of the process [tex]\varphi \rightarrow e^+ e^-[/tex] are to be calculated and compared. It turns out [tex]\Gamma_b > \Gamma_a[/tex], which should now be explained in light of parity/angular momentum conservation.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did all the calculations but I am having a hard time with the explanation. I know that [tex]L_a/L_b[/tex] is scalar/pseudoscalar under parity, but I don't see why this should affect the decay rate.

Any help is welcome.

Regards,
    torus

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted