1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decelerating 1D Movement

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

- A Dragster at the starting line accelerates at 8 m/s^2 to the finish line. If it took 4.6 s, how long is the track?
    - The Dragster deccelerated to a stop in 100m. How long did it take?

2. Relevant equations

x = 0 + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part of the questions I got x = 84.64m using the above equation.
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get anything viable for other formulas, when v or a is not specified for decceleration (read: Part 2).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello casey, welcome to PF :)

Same formula, but now the initial speed isn't zero. And x isn't the unknown, because it's a given. The unknown is a. And t of course. So you'll need another equation. Something relating v initial, v final, t and a.

From there (with v final = 0) you'll find t. (two equations with two unknowns)

You'll do fine.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    I think I see where you are coming from.
    Thank you for the quick reply and the welcome.

I missed the second part of your answer. I think I got it figure out. Thank you!

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, some PF culture here: you do the work, helpers help. So jot something down and solicit comments/assistance !
    You'll need this other equation anyway (it's no big deal, you must have seen it come by already at some point in the lectures/testbook) to determine the speed when the braking starts.

Hint: check out the formulas here (where it says three key variables)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted