1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deceleration of a car.

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The braking distance is the distance the car travels while decelerating once the brakes have been applied. A car of mass 450kg is travelling at a speed of 70MPH (31.3ms-1) when the driver makes an emergency stop.
    Calculate the deceleration of the car (Assume a uniform deceleration)

We're also told that at 70mph/31.3ms-1 that the breaking distance is 75 m.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did initially try to do this using the equations of motion but that gave me a huge answer, and didn't take into account the mass of the car so I didn't think it was right.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should show your attempt, even if it has an error or two. That way we will know how to help.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Ok, this is what I did.

S=75
    U=31.3
    V=0
    A=?
    T=?

s=u²+2as
    0=31.3²+2*a*75
    0=979.69+150a
    -979.69/150=a
    a=-6.53 ms-2

Which looking back doesn't look too bad, when I did it first time I think I accidentally must have typed the wrong numbers into my calculator because I got -1000ms-2. I'm just thinking I did it wrong because I didn't use the mass.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

gneill

Looks good.

One small nit though, in your first equation you put "s" on the left where you meant to put "V2". Clearly a typo, since you correctly substituted the value of V2 in your next line. So overall, well done.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    There's just one other part:
    The car is then filled with passengers so that its mass is doubled. Calculate its stopping distance when travelling at 70MPH. Assume the force calculated in b(ii) remains constant.

I calculated the force as:
    F=ma
    F=450*6.53= 2938.5N

How do I go about doing this is it:

2938.5 = 900 * a
    2938.5/900 = 3.625

So:
    v²=u²+2as
    0=31.3²+2*3.625*s
    -979.69/7.25=s
    s=135 metres.

Thanks again!

7. Dec 8, 2011 #6

gneill

Check your value for the new acceleration. Looks like a finger problem. Otherwise you're method works okay.

You could skip the force calculation if you realize that since F = MA, then A = F/M. Therefore if you double M you must halve A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook