1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deceleration problem

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    I reeeeeeeeally need help with thiss. thanks :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A track runner finishes a race and begins to slow down in a uniform manner. In 3.50 seconds, she comes to a complete stop, covering 12.0 meters while doing so. What was her speed when she finished the race?

2. Relevant equations

v=d/t
    d=vot+ 1/2 at2

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to find the original speed so i did v=d/t
    12.0/3.50=3.43 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The car is retarding. So the acceleration is negative.
    Rewrite the relevant equation with negative a.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3
    You are on the right lines with the second formula you posted. Do you know a rearrangement of it? You need to find a formula with initial and final velocities, time and displacement.

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You should assume that she stated at rest.

6. Aug 26, 2009 #5
    but it starts when she finishes the race. so i should have her initial velocity be the speed she finishes the race at, no?

7. Aug 26, 2009 #6
    i don't. >.<

8. Aug 27, 2009 #7
    Correct.

Do you have a text book with a section on kinematics? Or even have a look here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Motion_equation_1"

Remember, you're trying to get something with no a term. In earlier physics, kinematics equations are usually presented "as is" but it will be useful for you to understand how you can move between them to help you solve problems. If you can understand that, you can get away with forgetting one in an exam, as you can derive it at the time.

Pick one you think looks right and plug in the information. Have a go and then we'll compare answers ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook