Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Decent pictures of Mars

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Busy night last night. I finally got some decent pictures of Mars, and with my new piggyback rig, I captured a bunch of open clusters and the Andromeda galaxy. With the moon near full and with a somewhat humid night and lots of light pollution, the Andromeda galaxy is pretty low contrast, but I need to learn some enhancement techniques anyway, so it's something to work on. It was also a little windy, so I'll be able to get more detail on Mars on a calmer night (and when it gets higher and closer). The tracking error is noticeable, but small enough with the 135mm lens that I don't have to throw away many of the long-exposure pics. Anyway, here they are:

The first three are the easy to recognize ones: M31, Mars, and the Pleaides. The number after the name is the exposure. The Mars photo is a stack of several hundred frames and the rest are several dozen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

russ_watters

These next two are the Perseus double-cluster and M-34.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    What telescope are you using russ, and how much is it?

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

russ_watters

The telescope is a Meade ETX-105 (~$800) and the camera is a Meade Deep-Sky Imager (~$300). Of the pictures in the last two posts, only the Mars pic was taken through the scope (and a 2x barlow lens: ~$50). The rest were taken through a 135mm SLR camera lens (~$40, used) piggy-back mounted to the scope and adapted to the DSI (see post #84). Page through the thread for more pics...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  6. Oct 7, 2005 #5
    very nice . Thanks every one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook