Decibel Drop of 1 Singer in Choir

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
In summary, the decibel level of a choir of 10 singers, each singing at the same decibel level β, drops by 10log(10/9) when one singer stops singing. This can be simplified to a change of 10 decibels.
vande060

Homework Statement

Imagine a choir of 10 singers, all of different frequencies, but each singing at the same decibel level β if heard
separately. Suddenly one gets bashful and stops singing. By how many decibels does the sound of the full choir drop?

Homework Equations

I = I1 +I2 + I3 ...β = 10log10(I/Io)

Io = 1.0 * 10^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

can i just call the combined decibel level of 10 singers x

x = 10log10(10I/(10^-2)

then call the combined decibel level of 9 singers y

y = 10log10(9I/10^-2)

then subtract them, i have a feeling there is not enough information to solve this :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't actually need the intensities. Do you know how to add decibel levels?

Mindscrape said:
You don't actually need the intensities. Do you know how to add decibel levels?

no, do i divide them based on a logarithmic rule ??

logx-logy = log(x/y)

or am i way off here

beta change = 10log10(10/9) = .457 according to my calculator

Well, let's forget about the general case of adding decibels, and just focus on how the sound intensities will contribute to the total decibel level

dBtot=10log(I1/I0 + I2/I0 + ... + I10/I0)

In this case, all the sound sources are the same. Simplify what I started, use a log rule, and I think you'll be able figure out the rest.

vande060 said:
no, do i divide them based on a logarithmic rule ??

logx-logy = log(x/y)

or am i way off here

beta change = 10log10(10/9) = .457 according to my calculator

Let 10n be the intensity of each singer.Then

β= 10*log[10n/10-12] = 10(12 + n)

Similarly write down the equation for 10 β and 9 β and find the difference.

1. What is a "Decibel Drop"?

A "Decibel Drop" refers to the decrease in sound level, measured in decibels (dB), of a single singer in a choir compared to the overall sound level of the choir.

2. Why do some singers have a larger decibel drop than others?

The decibel drop of a singer is influenced by several factors, including their vocal technique, vocal range, and position within the choir. Singers with a lower vocal range or those standing further away from the microphone may have a larger decibel drop compared to singers with a higher vocal range or those standing closer to the microphone.

3. How is the decibel drop of a singer in a choir measured?

The decibel drop of a singer can be measured using a sound level meter. The singer's solo performance can be recorded and compared to the overall sound level of the choir. The difference in dB between the two levels is the decibel drop of the singer.

4. Is a larger decibel drop of a singer in a choir a good or bad thing?

The decibel drop of a singer in a choir is not necessarily an indicator of their vocal ability. It is a natural occurrence in a group setting, and a larger decibel drop does not necessarily mean the singer has a weaker voice. It is important for each singer to focus on blending their voice with the rest of the choir and not worry about their individual decibel drop.

5. Can the decibel drop of a singer be improved?

Yes, with proper vocal training and techniques, a singer can improve their decibel drop in a choir. This can involve finding the right balance between projection and blending, as well as improving vocal control and technique. Also, standing closer to the microphone or changing positions within the choir can also help reduce a singer's decibel drop.