How Does Sound Intensity Change with Fewer Firecrackers?

In summary, the sound level produced by one firecracker would be 3 decibels lower than two firecrackers, or approximately 92 dB. This is because the intensity of sound decreases by 3 decibels when the number of sources producing it is halved.
Alicek

Homework Statement

if two firecrackers produce a sound level of 95 dB when fired simultaneously at a certain place, what will the sound level be if only one is exploded?

Homework Equations

dB=10 LOG I + 120

The Attempt at a Solution

would I use 2I instead of I making an equation like 95 = 10 log 2I + 120 and then solve for one I?
Or set up the usual equation and then once I solve for I just divide it in half?
Also, I know that when intensity doubles, it goes up by 3 decibels, so do I just assume that two firecrackers is double the intensity of 1 and just subtract 3 decibels from the original 95?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alicek said:
Also, I know that when intensity doubles, it goes up by 3 decibels, so do I just assume that two firecrackers is double the intensity of 1 and just subtract 3 decibels from the original 95?

That's right.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the relationship between decibels and intensity. The equation you provided, dB=10 LOG I + 120, is the correct equation to use. This equation shows that the sound level in decibels is directly proportional to the logarithm of the intensity of the sound.

In this scenario, we have two firecrackers producing a sound level of 95 dB. This means that the combined intensity of the two firecrackers is equal to I.

If we want to find the sound level when only one firecracker is exploded, we can use the same equation and substitute I with half of the original intensity, which is equal to I/2. This gives us:

dB=10 LOG (I/2) + 120

We can simplify this equation to:

dB=10 LOG I - 3 + 120

Since we know that the sound level decreases by 3 decibels when the intensity is halved, we can simply subtract 3 from the original sound level of 95 dB to get the new sound level. This gives us a final answer of 92 dB.

Therefore, if only one firecracker is exploded, the sound level will be 92 dB. It is important to note that this assumes that the two firecrackers have equal intensity and are producing the same sound. If one firecracker is significantly louder than the other, the sound level may not decrease by exactly 3 decibels.

1. What is the definition of decibels?

Decibels (dB) are a unit of measurement used to quantify the intensity or loudness of sound. It is a logarithmic scale that compares the sound pressure level to a reference level.

2. How is intensity related to decibels?

Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a given area in a certain amount of time. Decibels are used to express the relative intensity of sound, with a higher decibel level indicating a greater intensity of sound.

3. What is the difference between sound level and sound intensity?

Sound level refers to the perceived loudness of a sound, while sound intensity refers to the actual physical energy of the sound. Decibels are used to measure both sound level and sound intensity.

4. How do decibels affect our hearing?

The human ear is sensitive to a wide range of sound intensity levels, from very quiet to very loud. Excessive exposure to high decibel levels can lead to hearing loss and other auditory problems, so it is important to protect our ears from loud sounds.

5. Can decibels be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, decibels can be converted to other units of measurement, such as sound pressure level (SPL) or sound power level (SWL). However, it is important to note that decibels are a relative measure and cannot be directly converted to absolute values.